1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Raw converters

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Oct 14, 2020.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

As I said a while ago,I`ve mislaid the disk for Adobe CS4 but have downloaded and installed it from the web.
    Trouble is the installation did not include ACR5.7,the newest version that will work with CS4.I`ve searched the web but can find nothing but an installer to update from previous versions.Nothing seems to exist for a clean install.
    I`ve had to abandon shooting Sony ARW raw files for this reason.

I`ve downloaded Raw Therapee and the newer Sony software,Imaging Edge but cannot get to grips with either.So,is there a raw converter out there that works in a similar way to ACR?I`m willing to try anything to anything that will mesh with CS4.I don`t really want to start learning something new at my age.:(

Thanks to Steve52 for his help.PM on way Steve

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Possibly the easiest way is to buy a version of Adobe Elements. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I use CC but have often thought that I could get away with Elements because I am gravitating more and more back to my darkroom.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is probably true that the camera manufacturer’s own raw converter is the best but most only offer a limited range of file formats. Nikon for example only offer JPEG and TIFF. If you want something else that is obviously no help.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 1:53 PM
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Dave has ruled out the Sony offering as too complicated. I’ve not used it as I have no Sony cameras. Most raw converters do much the same thing, even Raw Therapee, although that has a bewildering range of options if I so recall, so I’m not quite sure what the problem is other than that Imaging Edge isn’t an ACR version of 5.7.

5. swanseadave

Raw Therapee is a bewildering program,over complicated in that none of the tools are easy to find.
    therefore I keep forgetting what I need to do next.Having a failing memory doesn`t help.

However,yesterday I downloaded Adobe Camera Raw 5.2:two files totalling 95.5Mb but I cannot get it to install.
    CS4 tells me it`s the wrong kind of document,whatever that means.
    Adobe says to double click the exe file but that`s not there.Clicking the,from memory,an 8bi??file.All I get is wrong document!!

I`m getting to the end of my tether now.I thing,for now I`ll try Imaging edge again.

6. PeteRob

Did you manage to get ACR directly from Adobe? We looked everywhere for it before. I would not expect two files really unless one is a downloader. These days most things ship as .msi files. It stands for microsoft installer. I’d be very, very suspicious of any non-adobe site offering installers for old software. In case you meant ini for 8bi, old software used to save configuration information in ini files, not so much these days. Always do a manual virus check on anything you download.

7. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

Capture One Express for Sony is worth a look.
    It is free, has clearly visible import/export buttons and will export in multiple formats including DNG.

8. John King

Putting it simply it doesn't recognise the format. Pretty much the same as trying to edit a word document with adobe, you get the same message.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting Adobe, it can be frustrating but may provide a solution.

10. John King

If you are referring to my last post it is not a fault. Adobe is an image based software and has no connection with word.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

12. PeteRob

How on earth did you find that? I spent a couple of hours searching for it when Dave first posted a query about it.

13. EightBitTony

14. PeteRob

15. EightBitTony

Google has made every single site specific search engine a waste of everyone's energy.

16. Bazarchie

Good tip. Adobe and many others do not make searching easy.

17. swanseadave

"Did you manage to get ACR directly from Adobe?"

Yes Pete,I was surprised as it wasn`t there before I`m sure.

Tony,thanks for the link BUT it`s an updater,ie you have to have an older version installed.That was all I could find weeks ago while struggling with this problem.

CS4 will only work with ACR 5.1-5.7

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Probably more complicated than you want/need but, can you download an earlier version of CS that includes ACR? If so you could remove CS4, but not the download, then install the earlier version with ACR. If that works reinstall CS4 as an upgrade keeping ACR which you can subsequently upgrade to 5.7.

19. Bazarchie

How about downloading a demo of the current version, using the updates above to go back to ACR 5.1-5.7. See if this works with your CS4 and then remove the demo version.

20. EightBitTony

The 8bi file is the plugin it's not executable.

Can you give us the link you used to download ACR.