1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Raptor in the rain

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by robbinsd, Aug 25, 2014.

1. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

These are wild birds, photographed in the mountains of Mid Wales, one of the best places to see these birds.
    [​IMG]

2. Skute

Skute Member

I love the image although it looks almost to defined. Is the background not the original?

3. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

It is the original background. The only post work was adjusting the shadow, white/black balance.
    Dan

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, as you've posted in appraisal, I'll find some nits to pick... I'd check that the rimlighting on the wing is just that and not a processing halo, and perhaps it could be just a smidge brighter (even with the glorious Welsh summer...).

But thatis being picky for the sake of it. It passes my hang on wall test with flying colours and if you hear a crash it's me throwing my kit in the dustbin!

Adrian

(I forget who the chap who has been photographing ospreys here is - something like speyside_ghillie - but the two of you should have a beer together)

5. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Very kind of you indeed! I will definitely look up this guy who takes photos of the ospreys!
    The rim lighting is indeed just that, the processing on this image is quite small, just some colour correction more than anything.
    Dan

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Very powerful image, and I think the darkness suits it.

I can imagine it on the cover of a thriller novel with a title like "Raptor Hunting"... :)

7. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Fantastic stuff, this couldn't have been easy to get

8. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

that is one photo to be very proud off.,right up there with the best i have seen ..

9. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Really, really was not expecting such kind words. Thanks guys. You've given me that little push that I needed to get back out there with the camera.
    Dan

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I look forward to seeing your future work. Of course, you've set yourself a hard act to follow, now! :)

11. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

This was another photograph that i took on the day. I prefer the other, but just thought i'd get your opinions. Dan
    [​IMG]

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Good, but not like the first!

Adrian

13. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

The first one is definitely better - it has a real sense of motion and intent and the rain is not only unusual but gives a sense of menace. The backdrop is helpfully uniform with just enough detail to give a sense of place.

Every now and again an image comes along that makes me stop and look every time I open it and this definitely is one of them. If I had this in the bag I would be tempted to quit while I was ahead and take up beekeeping.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Good but not quite C*****g...:D

Were that mine I'd be well chuffed but not as chuffed as I would with the first...:cool:

15. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!
    Much appreciated!