1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quite ridiculous actually...

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, May 30, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Admittedly I own way too much stuff (canon wise). But it doesn't stop me looking for bargains.
    Just scored a "Dusty 40D - works ok" for £40 delivered.
    I have the 400d which rather surprisingly is much nicer to use and almost as tiny as my SL1/100D. Intrigued that the 40D has the same size sensor (10mp) I kept a sly eye open for a cheap user to try out.

Well, the "Dusty 40D" turned up yesterday. Opening the parcel It certainly was dirty, dusty, grime embedded in the leatherette covering. It was with a massive amount of trepidation that I installed the battery as I was certain it wouldn't work...I was right!! as dead as a Dodo!! Great...ripped off again.

In the box was a 2nd battery (3rd party), plus OEM charger. Tried the filthy 2nd battery.....Dead..Nada..Zilch...
    lol, one born every minute I thought.

Ah well. plugged the charger in (in the garage - as I was convinced it would catch fire)
    Went back to the camera, opened the card door (STIFF!!!!) can it get any worse? Thankfully the pins all looked straight, actually they looked perfect tbh?
    Removed the dirty eyecup, thought it would snap as it was so stiff...hmm genuine eyecup too?
    The rear screen had a protector fitted that had lifted at all corners and allowed grime and fluff onto the adhessive. Pulled it off and went and grabbed the liquid cleaner I use for my spectacles. Quick wipe and I was amazed to discover that the screen is infact pristine..WOW!!
    Bugger it, I used the same cleaner on a soft cloth and scrubbed the whole body..everything.

It was then I realised that this was no "Dusty 40D" bloody hell, the damn thing looked NEW!
    Decided to see if Astro Photography Tool would recognise the camera model and give a shutter count...unbelievably it did..

4972...whoa!!

Checked the battery...fully charged. shoved it in, along with a CF card and flicked the switch....
    ....remember that scene in Jurassic Park, where they stumble on the old abandoned laboratory and he pulls a switch and it just " comes to life", well this was like that....it just came on!

Ha ha, see, there is a god!
    Firmware had never been updated, tried canon..no longer available. Went googling, found it, downloaded it, then uploaded it.

Wow, just WOW!
    £40 pounds for a totally pristine, extraordinarily low shutter count, fully updated to the last available firmware canon EOS 40D.
    Its been a while since I felt so smug, I have to tell you.

Yes its old, yes its outdated, yes its a flapper (sin of sins these days) but I cannot wait to go out and see what it can produce.

Forty pounds...that's quite ridiculous actually

2. pixelpuffin

C569165D-F6E9-4689-B594-FEC8A2B8B17B.jpeg 7B1648A3-A9CA-41B6-A717-2A1F872F64AB.jpeg 3BA93E7C-86DA-43E5-A45B-3CBF5F42D147.jpeg 28329671-8D9D-4D96-BBB1-7E2339B7D795.jpeg Quick snaps…

John Farrell and peterba like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I used one for a while and they're nice, solid cameras with a good finder. Some of the shots I got with mine...

Yawn Canon 40D 7293.jpg
    Mittenwald Banhof 40D 7778.JPG
    Crowded tube train fisheye 40D 7181.JPG

pixelpuffin and zx9r like this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

My current DSLR is a Canon 60d, which I bought new.

5. pixelpuffin

Andrew That Cat shot !! Wow!!
    Tbh, I think we are all guilty of losing sight of what photography is actually about.
    I sometimes feel I want the ease of a smartphone but with the versatility of a dslr, maybe for some that’s the mirrorless appeal??

Given its age and by modern standards low iso range, I’m pondering what lens to pair it with..I have a few. Any suggestions??

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  6. John Farrell

The usual lens on my 60d is a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I had one for a while as my "action" camera, replaced it with an original 7D. I still miss it - nice camera to use, lovely shutter sound, produced decent results.

8. pixelpuffin

Don’t own any 3rd party lenses, sorry
    But I must admit I’m so tempted to see if I can get a cheap sigma 30mm 1.4 for this 40d
    Nearest I have is 28/1.8
    Or maybe 24 stm, 40 stm, 50 stm
    Or 24,28,35is triplets
    Or 10-18, 18-55, 55-250 stm triplets
    Or maybe a ‘L’
    See, I’m spoilt for choice.

John Farrell likes this.
  9. pixelpuffin

I’ve christened a camera
    How pathetic

say Hi to Dusty Dee

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've still got my 40D although not used it in a while..... shot from January 2009....

night-bench.jpg

....I forgot my remote release and never had a watch so I think that was something like ISO 800 and f/4 so I could use a 30 second exposure instead of bulb:oops:.

pixelpuffin likes this.
  11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Another vote for Tamron 17-50 2.8

12. Andrew Flannigan

I really like Tamron but I'd go for the 16-300mm. That's what I call a super zoom! :D

Camera Sony A65 and Tamron 16-300 on papers DSC01407.JPG

13. John Farrell

I wanted the larger aperture, to throw backgrounds out of focus.

zx9r likes this.
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I found a nice used Sigma 30 F1.4 a few years ago and use it on my Pentax K5. However, since I rarely use it at full aperture, if buying now I would look for a 28 F2.8 instead. As well as being less expensive, it would be smaller and lighter too. The lenses that get most use are a Sigma 10-20 (old model) and a Sigma 17-70 (old model), both of which have proved quite capable of producing images that produce decent 50 x 75 cm prints.

15. Andrew Flannigan

300mm throws the background well out of focus! ;)

Stilt dancer in Princesshay Exeter A65 DSC00353.JPG

16. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I've still got a 40D which I use occasionally in the garden for macro or flying things. A nice camera but to heavy for me to lug around though now.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A 40D for 40 quid - bargain!:eek:

I bought mine ex demo way back in 2009 and found it so good I never felt the need to upgrade until LCE had a 'Black Friday' deal on the 80D that I would have been daft to miss. Trouble is good as the 80D is I don't feel as comfortable with it as I did with the 40D. Possibly one of Canon's best ever models...

Perhaps I should stuff a couple of batteries in the 40D and take it out for a spin...

daft_biker likes this.