1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Public Schoolboys & AP in the 1970s

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Max resist, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The thing is that we're all talking about decades ago. Even Plymouth College now boasts about 40% foreign pupils, whereas 50+ years ago I doubt it was even 4%.

This is good for international understanding; but, in the absence of Direct Grant, only for the (at least moderately) rich.

Public schools are, as I said, businesses.

My school friends included doctors' sons whose fathers certainly qualified as no more than moderately rich. The Chief Constable's son was there, though he certainly wasn't rich (nor a friend). Same for other sons of military personnel (like me): some friends, some not. But mostly we didn't concern ourselves with what our fathers did. One good friend's father was a railwayman: they lived in a tied cottage. I haven't the faintest idea what other friends' or acquaintances' fathers did. No, not true: another acquaintance's father owned the biggest taxi firm in Dar es Salaam, and yet another was the heir to the largest local (Plymouth) firm of undertakers. He was notorious for picking up his girlfriends in (black) Rolls Royces.

Cheers,

R,

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Plenty of room to lie down in the back, I guess.

Adrian

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

The cars they used for carrying mourners were Rolls-Royces too; with big, soft, back seats.

Cheers,

R.