1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Public Schoolboys & AP in the 1970s

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Max resist, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've looked at this - founded in 1983, by which time I had been married 6 years.
    At least this explains all the comments, and the likely ages of the members who referred to it.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And Tubeway Army did a song about what one may do when reading such a magazine.:)

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's only la petite mort, n'est ce pas? ;)

dream_police likes this.
  4. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

My Secondary Modern could barley afford books, let alone periodicals.

However, in 1968 when I was 13, my Dad decided to take me to Dublin on his trip to visit his brother. My relationship with my Dad was not great, I wanted to be a true child of the 60s and the generation gap between my Dad and I was far bigger than the 40 years between us. The overnight ferry was great, I was able to wander around the boat smoking my No6s while Dad slept.
    Uncle John was a nice bloke, retired Garda and recently widowed, he now spent his time coaching swimming (coached some Olympic swimmers apparently) and enjoying his hobby of photography.
    I was just getting interested in photography and Uncle John was keen to encourage me, he said he had a load of old Amateur Photographer magazines and I could take them back home to Liverpool with me :). Unfortunately, by the time I got them they were quite slimmer versions of what they had been; I had to sit there for an hour or so, while my Dad and Uncle John went through each magazine, ripping out anything they considered unsuitable for a 13yr old Catholic boy's eyes :(.

I'm not sure what they would have made of the 2 copies of Mayfair I had hidden under the lino in my bedroom at home :D

beatnik69 likes this.
  5. dream_police

When I was about 14, myself and 2 friends on my street had quite a good collection, some of which had come from the continent. My friends mum found the stash and went up the wall. The parents of all 3 of us had a meeting to decide what they were going to do with this disgusting stuff. My dad volunteered to dispose of it as the parents of my 2 friends were too shocked. A short while later I had the stash to myself as I happened to find it in my dads wardrobe lol. My parents were not as prudish as the other 2's.

William Parker, saxacat and MJB like this.
  6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Reading?

dream_police likes this.
  7. dream_police

Haha

8. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

Talking of photographs that depict the naked body, I quite enjoyed taking photos of women in the nude but the problem was that they always insisted I got dressed! BOOM BOOM!!! On a slightly more serious note, some months back in a local(ish) ale house a pal and I were talking about Harrison Marks if you don't know of the chap look him up on 'flickr' where there are plenty of examples of his work.
    Way back in probably the fifties some school chums and I found a pile of naughty magazines which must have been dumped and I can vaguely remember giving them some considerable study but back to the present time and the pal I referred to earlier had also clearly studied Harrison Marks's work becausetold me each photo also gave details of the exposure and shutter speeds I suppose the idea was to give some sort of respectability but they were really harmless and one particular model, I think her name was June Palmer, was regularly featured. these were in the days when women were women and had attractive curves.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Ļ
    I think some of those magazines you mentioned were shot and published by Russel Gay he was a contempory of Harrison Marks.
    I worked for him for 6 months in 1959. One of my duties was to invent the shootig data to print under the photographs in the magazines. My inventions were never qustioned by readers so must have seemed possible to them. The reality is we had no idea what they had been shot at or what camera had been used.
    However we only ever used Rolleiflexes and Hasselblads. But mostly Rolleiflexes, as they were easier to use in the studio hand held, and with fill flash on location.

Some of the shots you lusted over might have been shot by me....including June palmer and Sabrina.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    dream_police likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,

Yes, it's touching, isn't it, how many people BELIEVE the shooting data? This is why I normally wrote, "As far as I recall..." or "Probably..." Do people really believe that professional photographers have nothing better to do than to write down the camera type, lens and exposure data for every shot?

As far as I recall you can tell Hasselblad shots from the nicks at the edge, but I worked with one photographer who used two 6x7 systems and always credited his best shots to one company because they gave him equipment whereas he had to buy the other.

When you were a young man it must have been fun shooting June Palmer and Sabrina!

Cheers,

R.

11. Terrywoodenpic

I have never been a big boob man.. Though June Palmer was very pretty with it. We had many far more beautiful or pretty girls come through our doors. But it is knockers that sold.

dream_police likes this.
  12. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Indeed, I have always felt sorry for girls/women with big breasts: they're pretty inconvenient, at least past the teenage years. Interesting, though, that "it is knockers that sold".

Cheers,

R.

William Parker likes this.
  13. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

Cheers,

R.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the response Terry, most interesting. My pal only mentioned Harrison Marks but I will mention your mane when I next see him. As mentioned there is some of his work on 'flickr' I wonder if there is any of yours? I will have a look and report back, purely in the spirit of research as I'm sure you understand. I have often wondered how on earth they founf time to record such detail as aperture etc , now I know.

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I once worked with somebody who had a collection of magazines featuring June Palmer.
    He was convinced that she also posed using other names and wearing wigs.
    And apart from the 'big boobs' fascination, he always wanted find out how often she shaved. He was a very strange man...

15. Terrywoodenpic

He was right about using other names. A Harrison Marks or Russul Gay model would be given new names when working for the other.
    Almost none of the girls used their real names. One of our models was a bank teller as her day job. Others were clearly high class when you spoke to them. The punters who bought the magazines never knew who they were really looking at. And nor did I when I was shooting them...It was mostly make believe. But most were very nice people.

The question of shaving or not was a real problem as it was an international business, some countries laws required girls to be natural and others to show no pubic hair at all. For this country most shots were airbrushed. And virtually nutered.
    How girls were posed and what you showed was down to the country they were destined for. I once messed up an entire shoot when I got it wrong. But the session was eventually sold elsewhere. But they had wanted that particular girl so we had to reshoot.
    All shots we took went under Russel Gays name. Just as Harrison Marks only shot a fraction of the work given his name. We photographers just came and went over the years.

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Yes, it's a stranger business than most amateurs realize. I assisted on a few glamour and semi-glamour shoots, but only moving lights, pouring wine, etc. (it was a hire studio). A few things stick in my mind, such as:

Beverley Goodway's RB67s: immaculate on the outside, because they were always used on a tripod in a studio, but completely worn out inside when he replaced them.

The models tended either to be very bright or very dim: few were of what one might regard as average intelligence.

Nude rates. In the 1970s Custom Car (aka Custard Cart) used to have scantily clad girls adorning the cars, but at least one art director was loath (or perhaps not authorized) to pay nude or even topless rates and would therefore pay bikini rates and try to talk the girls out of their clothes. My job as an assistant was to take the owners next door and pour beer into them: most, I suspect, had never seen a live nude girl before (and didn't then either). Some were apparently worried about the damage that the girls' bums might do to their 18-layer paintwork. I was surprised to see that the magazine is still going, and amused to see on an eB listing for 1970s copies, "WARNING - may contain some nudity which was acceptable at the time."

Cheers,

R.

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it TVR, some time about the time I was being displaced at the breast by my brother, who went so far as to have nude models draped over their cars at the motor show?

Adrian
    (this thread has ended up far more interstring* than it began)

*too funny a typo to edit

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I remember Abertay Ppaper Sacks advertising in Farmer's Weekly in the 1980s with a small black and white pic of a lass with her udders on display.

Adrian

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That sort of advert was quite common at the time in rock/guitar mags.

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Adrian,

Everyone did.

Cheers,

R.