1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Reaction to Film Cameras

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by filmlover, Dec 5, 2014.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi nimbus, you've reminded me of a brilliant Chris Simpson photo (with which, IIRC, he won an AoP Award back in the late '80s) depicted in blue toned B&W, two people in profile in front of terraced street background. One on left of frame, a young lady, in high heels and a shortish dress adopting 'a pose' in front of an old geezer, in jacket, muffler & flat cap who is peering down into an ancient (by '80s standard - C3?) Mamiya TLR and providing a little 'direction' by way of a waved hand or finger. {Am posting from memory so may be a little defective. If I had some more time available I'd contact Chris & ask for permission to post a lo-res JPEG but unfortunately other tasks are more pressing. If you all want to search the AoP Awards back catalogue it's around 1988 or 1989.} Cheers, Oly

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

His fingers went nowhere near the shutter release and the finder was folded down.:)

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

See. I told you so!

:D

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Ah! He must have seen this one, from 1967...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It happens that, when I'm out and about with the camera, that strangers come up to me, thrust some strange digital whatsit into my hands and ask me to take their picture...............That's fine as long they tell me what to press/touch..........

6. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

It was remotely released via his I Pad!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

7. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

Actually when I waas in a Local DIY store a week or so ago, discussing my needs to build a new bench for my enlarger, I got into conversation with the assistant about still using film. I mentioned that I also use digital at times but his reply was:-

"But there is nothing like a proper photograph to look at"

He was quite right!

8. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had exactly the same situation, particularly with tourists in Central London.
    When I look at their cameras, I'm struck by all the various "menu" options, modes etc. I'm convinced all this digital gobbledegook actually gets in the way of taking pictures.
    My manual film SLR is always pre-set for the prevailing light, when I see a picture for the taking, it's a simple case of "compose, focus, shoot, wind on, then move on."
    The whole process takes just a few seconds.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^^Aye, digital imaging is rubbish, use film...