1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSE 8 on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Mojo_66, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Just got a new PC after my old one running Windows 7 died(ish). I used to use Elements 8 to edit my photos, will it work on Windows 10? Is there anything I need to do before I install it? I don't want to hurt my nice shiny new PC, but I don't want to fork out for new software either if I can help it as I'm quite happy with Elements 8.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to this, no, it's not officially supported.

However, according to the linked Official Document, only v14 is. And I use v11 quite happily on W10. Try it and see?

3. Mojo_66

Fallen at the first hurdle, can't even get the damn thing to run. Might have to look at getting a newer version.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I use Elements 7 on a Windows 10 PC, and it works perfectly. It installed quickly from my original Adobe CD that I purchased in 2009.
    All the warnings on the Adobe website really appear to mean is that their online help/support may not work if you press the 'help' button when using the software. If I do this I get a 'help' web page for PE11.

I have now installed PE7 from the same CD on Windows XP, 7 and 10 PCs without any problems. You will find that it runs faster on more modern PCs with faster processors and more RAM.

Also, if you have any old scanners with software that won't work with Windows 10 (I have a Minolta film scanner nearly 20 years old and an A4 scanner 13 years old for which this was the case when I went to Windows 7 in 2013), look at Vuescan software. This happily ran both these vintage scanners on W7, and continues to do so on W10, but I did pay a few dollars more in 2013 to download the version that includes future updates at no additional cost (there was one recently). Highly recommended.

5. Mojo_66

Thanks for the reply, I do have an old Epson 4490 which I plan to install at some point. I used to have Vuescan but only as a download on an old PC. If I have any problems with the scanner I'll try it again.

The problem I'm having is that the disc won't Auto Run, (my settings are configured to use Autorun). I've tried double clicking the Set Up file and the Installer file but neither seemed to work.

6. Chester AP

Do you have access to another PC (friend, granny, etc,) that you try the disc on? It's always possible that the disc is damaged, but if you can see all the folders on it this is unlikely. I suspect that the autorun didn't happen with my PC either, but I don't recall any problems making PE load - which was very quick.

I don't see how experimenting further with the CD can do any harm to the PC. Even if it appears to load, but does not work, you can uninstall it and try again. If there are any known problems with Windows 10 settings causing problems installing from the CD, perhaps somebody else on the AP Forum knows the answer. I have a standard edition of 'Windows 10 Home' pre-loaded on an HP PC from PC World - nothing expensive, unusual or exotic.

Mojo_66 likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Elements 8 is getting on a bit. If it does all that you want and you do not need any support from Adobe then it is worth trying to get it to work... But maybe it's time to look around and compare what is on offer.
    From Adobe Elements 2019 for around £70 (If you are also getting into video then £109 with Premier).
    From Serif https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ around £50 direct from Affinity but sometimes discounted by 20%​
    are just two of many possibilities. I have just finished a little project with Affinity Publisher. I like it very much and it is integrated with Affinity Photo. I have only had the products for a short time but am already very impressed, but not yet expert.
    No doubt other members of the forum will suggest their own favourites and most applications will offer a free trial.
    Have fun. Trying several free trials of software gets the grey cells working and maybe gets one out of a rut.

Mojo_66 likes this.
  8. Mojo_66

Tried the disc on an old laptop running Windows 7 and although I didn't go as far as installing it the install Wizard popped up so it seemed to work OK. On my new PC if I right click the PS Elements folder and select "Install" I get a message saying the installation has been interrupted, and to install to the root folder and it won't go any further.

Had a look at the Serif, it looks good but a lot of editing I do is for work, it needs to be done quickly and simply which is why I don't really fancy having to get used to a new interface and way of doing things.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Could be it is a 16 bit installer. I think win 7 was the last to support 16 bit apps.

10. Mojo_66

Sorted it. Went into the program files, right clicked on the Set Up (With the blue icon) and clicked Open, then selected to run it with the Installer Wizard. Installation began, entered key, status bar did nothing for about 2 minutes, then sprang into life. Up and running again, appears to work fine. £70 saved which will probably go towards another external HD. :)

Got the 4490 working too, downloaded the file from the Epson website.

Learning and Zou like this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Always nice to save cash isn't it. I
    I get that. I still have LR, and for a quick job use LR in preference to Affinity photo. Not that LR is better; it is not. For editing and creative effects Affinity is superior, but there is a lot to learn.
    The move from MS publisher to Affinity publisher is a different matter;they are as alike as chalk is to cheese.
    Serif do not yet have a database. In LR that is an essential part.You have to use it whether you want to or not. I hope that Serif do create one that is optional . Those of us who want it would buy it, and those who don't want it, would have no need to do so.

12. Chester AP

Well done - a little persistence and no new software that you have learn how to use.

I recall in the late 1980s working at the site of a firm that had a massive IBM mainframe, and having to make minor changes to Cobol programs over 30 years old that were still used every night for batch processing of sales data. The 'if it's not broken don't fix it' approach to software is nothing new.

13. Mojo_66

Indeed, I'm perfectly happy with Elements 8, it does everything I need it to and runs nice and fast on my new machine.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember doing Y2K work on such a system. That was fun!

15. Chester AP

A large part of my current pension fund was financed from contract programming work on the Y2K panic during 1997-99.
    It was so boring...but I'm now very glad I took the chance to put the maximum allowed directly into a private pension. One tax year I worked 48 weeks and put about £7,000 into the fund, and £3,000-£4,000 the other years when contracting from 1994 to 2002. Other contractors were buying expensive cars, but not me. Alas, after 2002 the contract market died (at least for my 'skill set') but I had made the most of it whilst I could.