1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Project: Documenting Long Eaton

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Oct 30, 2019.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So ages ago now, @Geren talked about recording shop fronts in her local town, and I thought, I should do that.

And then I tried, and hated the shots. And then I saw this Instagram account, https://www.instagram.com/strangelyfamiliar.co.uk/ and the story that goes with it. And I thought, just get over yourself man, get out there, take some shots, record the town centre.

And then (lots of sentences starting with And, I make no apologies), I bought a second hand Canon EOS M50 and I find it a lot nicer to use than the better spec'd EOS M6, so I spent a couple of hours on Sunday morning taking a slow walk up and down the high street, shooting the shop fronts.

Terrible light. Got shouted at by some drunks. Photobombed by some elderly folk. Almost run down by a car.

Great day.

Here's the album (which I'm still slowly adding shots to) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightbittony/albums/72157711571369926

Here's a couple of the shots so far,

[​IMG]October 2019 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Still got another hundred to process and upload. I hope you enjoy seeing my local town. I'm going to walk up and down a few more streets with shops and buildings on them. And then in another few months, do it again I hope and see how it looks.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nice one. Another of my shelved-before-started ideas was to divide my small town into a grid of 50m intervals and try to take a picture in each grid. Similarly to your project it would be a document of the town warts and all. Problem is I'm far too lazy to do it. I might do the 'run every street in town' challenge at some point but that's far less onerous than standing on some of our less-welcoming streets taking pictures of houses...

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

I have grand plans of getting on the Nottingham tram, getting off at every stop, and spending max 10 minutes finding a shot, then getting on the next tram, repeat. Will take quite a few trips to do it, but still on my list of things to do.

Zou likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

I like that, more of a journey than just 'here's the front of every building'. I like it a lot.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I did consider opening it up to others in the town as a community project but as per previous comment, I'm lazy and couldn't commit to the effort and organisation.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

Also, I found this. The Burton store is in a building which appears to have been custom built for them.

20191027-M50-IMG_0136_x800_hq-2.jpg

20191027-M50-IMG_0136_x800_hq.jpg

daft_biker and RovingMike like this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

For my Finding Bleeding London thing a few years ago (see books below), I set a limit of 2 mins on reaching the street to find the shot. But I did 2650 streets, so by the law of averages, I found a few. These days I find it better to set themes for the day, week, month rather than divide places into areas. So the Bishopsgate project (books below) covered architecture old and new, contrasts, lifestyle, amenities, street art, pure street, etc.

8. EightBitTony

So, I found the shots I took in 2017. I do not remember this being a Co-Op travel place.

20170409-7DM2-6L3A7540_x800_hq.jpg

20191027-M50-IMG_0366_x800_hq.jpg

daft_biker likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Bets on what it will be next?

10. EightBitTony

I wondered if it was one of the ones going to be saved, but doesn't look like it.

11. EightBitTony

First shot: Just as the battery ran out.

20191103-M50-IMG_0498_x800_hq.jpg

Second shot: Two hours later when the battery had recharged.

20191103-M50-IMG_0508_x800_hq.jpg

I much prefer the recharged battery effect, it really makes the sky look a lot brighter. I'll make sure to recharge my battery every time in future.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

:) :) :)

13. EightBitTony

So two weekends, and I have over 220 images. A couple of them I quite like as actual photographs, I think they capture something. The rest are records of the High Street and Market Place. I still need to do Derby Road (which has commercial property on both sides) and a couple of side streets.

The GPS is reasonably accurate from my phone app.

lemap.jpg

The red areas are those I need to do, and there's the odd venue in the areas I've already covered which I need to get too. Then it'll be a case of select interesting locations across the town (like the churches out of the way, and the theatre).

Zou likes this.
  14. EightBitTony