1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'professional' cameras

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by turbulentwheat, Sep 4, 2007.

1. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

I have I am (its a D40X) :)

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

"Professional" cameras are those which are heavy enough that you have to employ an assistant to carry them around :D

3. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Thats right, small hands and a big camera is not always a problem, big fingers or gloves and a small camera with smaller controls can be much more of a problem.

Regards

ZX9 ( Keith )

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why is a D40x worse than a D200 or D2x?
    It isn't. It has less functionality; it is less well built; the imaging is maybe just as good. On the plus side it is cheap and light.
    The AF and other electronics are not as fast. The build quality is suspect but it makes good images in the right circumstances.
    Horses for courses I think. I use a D200 and D40x.

5. skyandstone

skyandstone Well-Known Member

Consider the scenario.

You are a self employed pro who owns a Canon 1DS and a Canon 400D, both paid for by your own hard earned income.

You have been commisioned to take a photo which involves standing in waist deep seawater in your speedos. There is a 5% chance that your camera (and you) will fall into the sea. Both cameras will get you the image that your client needs.

Which one does the pro take?

And before any smart alec suggests underwater housings, this guy is broke after buying his 400D and kit lens.

Andy

6. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Depends on how good the sealing is on the 1DS. If it could stand up to a ducking, I would take it. The 400D certainly would not.

If the 1DS cannot take a ducking, then I would take the 400D as that would be cheaper to replace.

As for the Speedos, well that's a whole other debate!! :D

7. skyandstone

LOL Fabs,

I've never seen a 1DS user wearing a pair of speedos, so I can only assume that underwater adventures are not one of it's selling points. :D

Andy

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Given the physique of some of the 1DS users I've seen, I hope I never see one wearing speedos!! :eek: /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Oi!!! :eek:

As I have both a 1Ds and a 350D (I think in this respect it qualifies), I would take my 1Ds into the sea on a very calm day when I'd be sure it only went up to my knees. Anything deeper etc. it would have to be the 350D ... :)

Incidentally, a friend's 350D was a write-off after his GF ducked it into the water. :(

10. skyandstone

I'll have to be strict, the client insists that the shot must be taken from waist deep water.

So you are telling me that the 350D is a pro camera and the 1DS is not? :D

Andy

11. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

1. I haven't seen you

2. I did say "Some"

3. Of course I was referring to male users!

Phew, think I may have got away with that one!! :eek: (Oops, did I think that or type it?)

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

If the customer really insists that it has to be taken from waist deep water then I'd take all my Canon gear with me and make sure that the 5% chance happens. I could then take my nice cheque from my insurers and buy a load of Nikon gear. :D

13. skyandstone

Hat's (speedos) off to you NN, that really is lateral thinking.

Andy

14. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

No, anything but that!! :eek: :eek:

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

They're not called "Budgie Smugglers" down under for nothing! :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, but if you're really that stupid, nobody would hire you in the first place! :D