1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prof Newman article P 62 63 09/03/2013 issue

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by P_Stoddart, Mar 6, 2013.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I presum that Prof Bob Newman did not mention the third way printed images are created because it's a commercial process?

The most common process if you use a lab is now laser rendering. This fit it with the old wet process of C41 printing.

But instead of using a colour negative projected onto photopaper, instead a set of colour lasers or leds are scanned across the the photo paper and then the paper is processed in the regular way.

It allows very large accurate photo prints to be made with the same archive profile as negative to photopaper printing. Therefore competing with A0 inkjet printing.

There is a further process called Zink.

http://www.zink.com/technology-how-it-works-3/

The other issue is the Apple Retina display. Prof Newman say "pixel densities approaching that of print"

Well I disagree, the Retina is stated at 220ppi, print is at 300ppi and there are systems going above that now.

If you make display at 220ppi 10x8 it end up at 3.8MP, a 300ppi print is 7.2MP.

That is nearly half of print. Some inkjet systems are now matching 300ppi as well.

Even when/if 4K video displays become the home standard replacing HD at 2MP they will only need to go to 10MP.

Print at A3 is 17MP and A2 is 34MP when at 300ppi. Print still can show more than a the next gen displays. IMHO.

One day maybe but that day looks along way off. :D

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I noticed the omission of the laser onto silver halide paper system, mainly because it's how all my prints are done. I guess it was down to lack of space.

However, I would call 220PPI a pixel density approaching that of print - some of my larger prints have an effective pixel density around that. Perhaps you're getting confused about linear and area densities - apples and oranges? You certainly don't need to print A2 at 300PPI with any normal way of viewing.