1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Prof Newman article on Flash Memory

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by P_Stoddart, Jul 5, 2011.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Read with great interest Professor Newman on flash memory.

One small point, it might have been of interest to users of memory cards to know how long data might be viable on a a memory card.

Is there not a way of calculating expected data containment?

Do manufacturer give data holding time scales? We know they give read/write cycles say of 100,000 or higher.

It cannot surely be forever. He stated "potentially for years".

Just wondering. :)

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

This is not an answer because I don't know the answer, but I'd like to thank the AP for the factual articles in this week's edition.

I wonder if there's any chance that they may be made available on-line for easy "Googled" reference for those of us needing clarification when our paper copy isn't around.

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I do hope it's for a very long time. Many or us use hard disks for long term storage and as we go to SSDs as a replacement for magnetic disks this will become increasingly important. SSDs, camera cards and thumb drives are all the same technolgy.