1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processing recommendations

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Dan, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Dan

Dan Member

Having already had one film completely knackered by my local high street developer (36 exp developed as a 24 exp), where are the best places to be trusted with yer film?

Cheers
    Dan

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Um, assuming all the negs are OK, which they should be, take it back to get it reprinted!
    It's all very hit and miss - one reason why I use slide film. My local chemist is excellent - fine if you live in Edinburgh, not a lot of use otherwise! -(processing by Kodak, £2.99 for 6x4, £3.99 for 7x5) but I've had to complain even there about this fault (one film was returned with 12 prints, despite 37 perfect negs - I had it reprinted, but they did it the wrong size! Third time lucky - all at their/the lab's expense - and I know have lots of sets of prints for that film!).
    I believe AP are about to run a processor test, but if you find a good one, stick to it and complain if and when standards slip. Or pay pro prices and use a pro lab!

Nick CRIPN

3. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Dan

I'm a bit puzzled by what you are saying - how can you have a 36 exp film developed as a 24 exp? Do you mean they only printed 24 of the 36 frames or is this the excuse given to you by the shop?

David

4. Dan

Dan Member

This was my conclusion. I got 24 prints back. Looking at the negs, 11 and a half were completely black.

I just thought the fact that 24 pictures were okay was a hell of a coincidence. The girl in the shop was also new which added to my suspicions.

Dan

5. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't sound like a processing problem.
    If the black frames are numbers 1-12, this suggests that the first third of your film has been pulled out of the cassette in daylight. If the black frames are numbers 25-36, it sounds like the back has been opened while the film was loading, as the EOS300 has a prewind system, which winds the film out completely at the loading stage. As the film is exposed, the film is wound back into the cassette after each frame, so the first frame you shoot will be numbered 36 and the last will be number 1.

Geoff

6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I take it we are talking print film? I use to stick to boots... I know they don't know what they are talking about but their new digial printing machines know what to do!

Mario Greppi FRIPN
    Visit the Dreamphotos web site at: http://dreamphotos.tripod.com

7. Dan

Dan Member

I've just dug out the negs to remind myself. Frames 1-13 are okay. 14-26 plus half of 27 are black, then 28 up to the end are okay.

Dan

8. Canonball

That's strange then Dan! Are you sure the camera back wasn't accidentally opened halfway through the film? Could someone have opened the camera back without you knowing? This is the only way I can see the middle section of the film being affected in that way.
    I've just checked the spec on the EOS300 and it does have a prewind system, which completely winds the film out onto the take-up spool when the film is loaded, and then rewinds a frame at a time as the film is exposed. (Thats why my last post has been changed, Sorry if I've confused you)

Geoff

9. Dan

Dan Member

I suppose someone could have done it without me knowing, although the camera hasn't been out of my sight much since I got it. What I don't understand though is frame 27. It is exactly half black (left-to-right) and the dividing line is very sharp.

Some of the pictures also had a light horizontal line running across them about half way up. Some others were completely unaffected.

Film perhaps?

Dan

10. Canonball

I would guess the frames that are showing the line are the ones from 13 downwards, and frames 28 and above are all OK?
    It sounds very much like the back of the camera was probably opened after frame 27 was exposed and the film advanced, so that frame 27 was half way back into the cassette, (this would actually be the 10th frame you shot on the film).
    If you take a look in the back of the camera, the distance between the film gate (the shutter area) and the lip of a film cassette will probably correspond with the width of the black half of frame 27.

Geoff

P.S. I don't want to point fingers, but is there perhaps an inquisitive "Little Dan" in your life?

11. David Stout

Dan

When you say about 12 negs were black, are you saying that only the 35mm frame for these were black i.e. the sprocket area was clear with the normal writing along the side OR are you saying that the whole width of the film was black?

It gives a better clue as to what happened.

David

12. Billericay

Billericay Well-Known Member

13. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Or pay pro prices and use a pro lab!

Definitely!! I've been using Joe's Basement in Wardour St. for 2 years now. No experience with print film, as I use so little, but the slides are fine-and ready in 2 hours, which beats waiting a week like the high street places make you do!!

I started going there after exposing a roll of Sensia 100 at EI 25!! It was the first time I used the M6, and being used to SLR auto-rating I forgot to change the dial on the camera. But they rescued the shots-brilliant!!

Get out and get shooting!!

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

My God the Canon engineers must really have been having a bad hair day to come up with that one, winding film backwards oh well.

Slimey.

15. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Yeah a realy great idea...not. How many people log each frame they shoot.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Brian,

The Cannon idea is notionally quite sound, because if inadvertantly you do spring the camera back open you will not fog/obliterate everything you have already taken, the new Minolta Dynax 7 prevents this from ocurring totally by preventing the back to be opened until the film has completeley re-wound, BTW the camera tells you that you can remove the rewound film, no more fogged film, and yes I've done it Doh!!

KR
    /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM MRIPN

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I suppose I can see some sort of logic in this feature Ron. But 80 years ago Leitz decided to obviate the problem re backs springing open by merely engineering them so they couldn't. The designers also decided that the cameras would be used by photographers who at least had a couple of brain cells left, and would just check before they opened the camera.

Even if your camera tells you that the film has rewound I bet you still give it a little check.

Oh and by the way, I've done it once or twice./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Brian

18. David Stout

Now Exacta had an even better idea (I think it was the Exacta VX1000) - the film was wound from one cassette to another and you even had a cutter in the camera so you could chop the film mid roll and have just that bit processed.

That's what I call clever thinking.

David

19. Canonball

Why would anyone need to log each frame Steve? You still have a frame counter!

Geoff

20. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Can you remeber all the details of each shot. Subject, Aperture, speed, focal length, etc etc. before you get the reel D&P'd.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN