1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Problems with mymagazine.co.uk call centre and website re. subscription

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation. However, for the benefit of subscribers who won't see this Forum thread, perhaps the information merits a prime position in AP at the earliest opportunity.

As I explained when starting this thread, my problem was not knowing the correct people to contact to obtain a replacement copy. Since this happens 2 or 3 times each year, I hope the Kelsey subscriptions department if functioning properly when I next need a replacement copy. Also, I am not aware of any post that I was expecting failing to arrive, apart from some copies of AP, within the last decade, so I don't believe it is all the fault of the Royal Mail (at least not in my part of Gloucestershire).

Is 5 days a reasonable time to wait for an email reply about a missing copy of a weekly magazine, or is this standard of service only 'temporary'?

swanseadave and Nigel_Atherton like this.
  2. Papageno

Papageno Member

Thanks for the update Nigel. Regarding my iPad digital subscription I contacted Pocketmags who were very helpful and kindly set up a new one for me on its platform and backdated it. In the meantime I also received an email from TI Media who explained that there’d been a technical problem which had resulted in the suspension of access to the recent May AP issues from the iPad application. This issue has now been resolved so the iPad AP application is working again and I have access to the May issues of AP as well as previous editions.

I realise that these are challenging times and I’m therefore very grateful for all that you and your colleagues are doing to ensure the continued publication of AP.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it is just an unfortunate combination of events. The model for missing subscription copies with Magazines Direct was to extend the subscription by one week. This isn’t possible while existing DDR are with Time Inc, maybe when the DDR are with Kelsey this system will resume. I get the impression that, under current circumstance, they are a bit stretched.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I think it's a bit sad that even under lockdown, the staff of AP mag don't appear to post responses on this forum very often

5. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I was told a few days ago Kelesy currently has over 1300 emails in its inbox from subscribers of its various magazines who have not been getting their magazine, due to various postal issues around the country, and I imagine there are only one or two people working in that department (which under normal circumstances would be sufficient) and they dont have the resources of the office at hand, while working from home.
    So yes I think its unreasonable to expect normal standards of service in the current situation.

PentaxManiac likes this.
  6. Nigel_Atherton

Ten years ago AP had a staff of 24. Now it's eight. Our main focus is on producing the magazine on time to the required standard. Everything else is a luxury that we do when we have a few minutes to spare.

PentaxManiac likes this.
  7. IvorETower

Wow..... that explains quite a lot. Are volunteers welcome? If I manage to be able to afford to retire in a few years, your offices are only a few miles from home..... I'll have to try to plan one of my weekend bike rides to visit the Farnborough Business Park

EDIT: What has become of the sister "What Digital Camera" website? The mag ceased some years back but the website is still running although it looks like it's not been updated for some time. Did it fall into the cracks at one of the recent sales/take-overs of the publishers?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. Chester AP

I assume this isn't a serious suggestion, after reading my latest issue that arrived today (but was due on Saturday) in which I found out that all the archived copies of AP are stored in the currently closed AP office (page 22), it does suggest something else some AP readers could do. Rather than read reprints of relatively recent articles used to fill pages, I would love to read some of AP's original (and unedited) reviews of some classic cameras. For examples, perhaps a Forum member has the AP issue with the original review of the Leica M3 or Pentax Spotmatic that they could scan and email to the editor? Even if not up to the technical standard of newly-produced editorial pages, once the image had been adjusted (if required) for contrast I'm sure it would be good enough for publication. These old reviews might also help current reviewers when testing lenses without access to computer software.

I'm sure that acknowledgement in the magazine for the supplier of the scanned pages would be enough, so there would be minimal additional cost to the magazine.

9. Nigel_Atherton

You're very welcome to cycle out to Farnborough Business Park at any time. We wont be there though. Kelsey's offices are inear Maidstone, Kent. But seeing as we work from home few of us will ever have any need to go there apart from me, and even then not very often.
    As for WDC, the website has not been updated for several years but people do still visit it when it comes up in Google searches. It was once the UK's biggest photography website so it still has some Google ranking. Unfortunately when TI media sold AP to kelsey they saw fit to sell WDC to someone else, along with Trusted Reviews, even though it had nothing to do with TR. So we have no say in what happens to it in future.

10. Nigel_Atherton

[/QUOTE]
    I would love to be able to scan the entire AP archive gong back to 1884 and put it online, then we could re-run occasional features, and back in the day would be a lot easier. It would be a massive and expensive undertaking though, and we'd have to destroy the binders that they are currently bound into.
    BTW we wont be running any ore reprints of recent features. That was a short term fix. We have now split the Buyers Guide into sections which we run ever week, which has solved that problem.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  11. PeteRob

I’d say Kelsey are working very hard. I had a nice letter, they had reprints made of the edition that went much astray and sent replacement copies out. Amazing service.

12. PeteRob

Just wondering aloud. Don’t the British Library have this? I thought they were basically digitising everything they held and they are supposed to hold a copy of more or less everything that ever went into print. I’ve been retired a while now but, in terms of library services in the last months of work, reference articles from journals would come back almost by return, certainly far quicker than it used to take to request a photocopy (pdf of).

13. Nigel_Atherton

That is an extremely good suggestion. I wish I'd thought of it! I shall look into it.

14. PeteRob

I pottered about their web-site. I could find the paper copies! They have some impressive copying equipment for digitisation that would seem to hold volumes open at a half position, must have left hand and right hand cameras to avoid stressing the bindings. They have a whole business section devoted to digitising back editions of publisher's work so it'll be chargeable if they haven't done it for historic reasons. The age of AP may help as there may be grants to preserve the history. If it was online I could go back and find what my grandfather was up to. Apparently he'd drive the family mad preparing his submissions for critique!

15. IvorETower

Oh goodness, have you had to move yet again? Has Mr S's wonderful 3D lens test structure been moved to Kent? I had a very interesting discussion with him at the last Photography Show at the NEC, way back in March 2019

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Years ago from Old time cameras ( the one that sells photocopies of instruction manuals ) I bought a booklet bound together of AP cameras reviews .
    One that contained all the reviews of Minolta autofocus SLR cameras , and one with all Minolta's manual focus SLRs .
    They also did them for other brands , Nikon , Canon , Pentax etc .
    Quite an interesting read .

With the renewed interest in film photography it would be good if AP did reprint some of these , and possibly add an extra summery to the end with regards to "using this camera today" .
    Perhaps mentioning some of the pitfalls of some models where as the years passed have developed common faults .

17. Chester AP

My suggestion about reprinting old reviews complete and unedited was inspired by the policy of a monthly 'hi-fi' magazine called 'Hi-Fi News and Record Review' that I have subscribed to for over 20 years, and appear to still be on an old quarterly subscription rate. It began regularly reprinting old reviews, and has progressed to reviewing good condition old stuff using modern methods and measuring equipment. These reviews are complimented by advice about buying the item now, using it with modern equipment, and known reliability faults with advice about availability of spare parts. This last is relevant: I recently had to junk a 1995 CD player made by a British company because its CD drive was manufactured by Sony and the one in my player fell apart. Being Japanese, no parts are available to repair it. The latest issue reviews a Philips CD player of similar vintage, and advises that parts for that machine are still available. The space devoted to 'classic' kit has increased during the last few years, and the readers' letters pages often feature old stuff too. I suspect that many readers buy it only for the music reviews and the 'old kit' features - like photography, much of the new kit is variations on a PC built for a specific purpose and supplied with proprietary software that is notorious for being made obsolete by technology changes.

swanseadave and neilt3 like this.
  18. Chester AP

The latest issue of AP (dated 4th of July and should have arrived last Saturday 27th of June) has gone astray, so today (Wednesday) I telephoned Kelsey Publishing on their 01959 543747 number. Since I have set up an account with them, I looked on their website first, and there is advice buried in the FAQ section but not yet any way to order a replacement copy via the website.

I called at about 12 noon, once I was certain the my other post for today had been delivered and that the AP copy had not. My call was answered immediately by a real person, who was helpful and told me that a replacement copy would be sent today. She said she was very busy with AP work, but happily answered a few brief questions for future reference, and I summarise the answers below because they may help other Forum members wanting replacement copies.

Always contact them by telephone, with your subscriber number if possible (the first of the two numbers above your name on the postal packaging).

Copies are usually posted on Friday, with the expectation of Saturday delivery, although in some parts of the country Monday may be more likely (apart from this week, mine have all arrived on Monday or Tuesday in recent weeks).

Requests for replacement copies will be accepted on the following Wednesday (which is better than the previous publishers who refused to accept a request until Thursday).

Hopefully not to many of you will ever need this information.

19. PeteRob

The post was late this week, only got mine today.

20. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I have not received this weeks copy but I do know the cover is mainly yellow thanks to an AP email. My subscription id a pressy from my wife, I have asked her NOT to renew it, so it might be goodbye from me.