1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Problems with Hot Pixels

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by geoid, Mar 30, 2009.

1. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hi. Is there an firmware upgrade for the K200d as well as there has been for the K20? I have problems with the sensor with the K200d. It's just not that good in low light conditions, and the quality of the pictues even in good light is just too patchy. And I'm getting increasingly irritated by Pentax stuff. Have I really bought the Dud of cameras here? Anyone any suggestions. Like what is a good lens for the pentax also? Ta! :D

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I think you'll need to be a bit more specific for a proper answer as there's little clue here as to what sort of image you are trying to produce.

Pentax lenses are superb for Pentax and Samsung cameras.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Most Pentax lenses, yes - but the 18-55 kit lens is described in the latest version of AP as "comparatively poor", so if the OP has one of those, it's not a good benchmark for the rest of the range, and well worth considering an upgrade.

4. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hello! Yes, I think I need to branch out with different lenses then. I've only been able to afford 2nd hand ancient A & M class ones ( which are really good for some things, I have a 28MM 100MM & a 50MM, and they are ok for variety). But which "new" lens do you think I should invest in. I've heard the new 50MM are really good, and the wide angle 12-24? Any suggestions will be helpful.

As for specific. I've found that during poor lighting situations, even with ISO at higher levels, there is sometimes a lot of digital smearing, and some micro red dots ( which I assume were hot pixels). And it doesn't make for a great picture. But as above, it's such a tricky thing lighting vs my averageness as a photographer. :D

Cheers.

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

We would really like to help, but you are not being at all specific about the problem.

Are the images blurred or just a little soft?
    Are you taking pictures at high ISO settings in poor light?
    If so, is the shutter speed too slow for hand held shots?

We cannot help without better information. :(

6. johnriley1uk

We're still guessing because we don't know what the subject matter is, or the type of lighting. How do things look on a nice bright day of you take a picture of something like a building? Are they sharp and clear?

As for lenses, the 18-55mm is capable of excellent A3 prints when stopped down, but for an improvement that won't break the bank look at the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm f4 which currently at its new low price is a real bargain.

The 12-24mm is a superb lens, but not where you should be starting.

7. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

Pentax cameras seem not to apply as much noise reducion as others. Personally I would like a little more chroma NR in jpeg mode, but the good thing about this is it gives YOU control. If your K200D is anything like my K10D (it has the same sensor I think) noise is visible at ISO 800 and fairly obvious at ISO 1600 in jpegs. However, if you shoot RAW (as you should for the best quality) I find much better high ISO image quality can be had. I have no hesitations about printing ISO 1600 DNG RAW shots from Adobe ACR up to A3. Give it a try and see what you think. I can't answer for PEF's as I use CS3 and never use that format.

As for lenses, it depends what you shoot, but I found my Tokina 19-35mm ultra-wide gave me a huge creative boost on film for landscape/travel. The 12-24 is the digital equivalent - I just wish I could afford one!

8. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Ta for the help. I've found a 2nd hand 16-45 available for £185 so I might try that one. I must say the Mark II 18-55 isn't that bad, but the problem is comparing different Pentax lenses is the cost of buying them and doing this.

As for noise, that generally isn't a problem. The hot pixellation occurs in low or poor light, where I step up the ISO. It doesn't happen on day shots, but I don't find the day shots particularly exciting with the 18-55 either. I think I've not had the experience of a really good pentax lens, and am finding it a bit boring to be honest.

I'm sure it's more to do with the slow lens also. It isn't a particularly fast one is it? And it's very noisy to use, and it's focus is abysmal at times. I hope the 16-45 is better than this one eh?

Anyone care to comment on the differences? Cheers, Gary. :D

9. Monobod

If you can find one s/h the manual focus 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom is a cracking lens. It still triggers the focus indicator in the viewfinder so is easy to use. Image quality is really great.

10. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Peace has been restored to my Pentax life. I bought a 2nd hand 17-70 Sigma today. Which is a very nice replacement for my kit lens ( it cost me £70). So I am happy. :D

11. Monobod

Yes, I have this also and it is very good. It also has the most useable zoom range, so stays on the camera most of the time.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

My general purpose lens as well - albeit in Canon fit. Produces very good quality for a modestly priced lens. At £70 I reckon you got a bit of a bargain! :)

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Gary,

Glad to see you (hopefully) got your Hot Pixel situation dealt with and
    there has not been any firmware upgrades for the K200D -- of which I
    have two(2) :eek:. And, FWIW, I have yet to have any sensor problems
    with (any of) my K200D's but as for my original (4+ years/88K shots) DSLR,
    the Pentax IST*Ds ...... take a peek below:

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

14. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

Crikey! That's what I call a compost heap!! :eek:

I like the picture though, very post modern. It wouldn't look out of place in a modern art gallery with a title suggesting nuclear apocalypse, with the 'emoticon' an ironic reference... perhaps you should enter it somewhere??

15. Monobod

Time for a K20D Jack! :D (or a G10).

What did you say, death to the traitor! :D :D

16. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hi Jack! Nice to hear from you.Yes my moan is over. I think I need my eyes testing. The piccy you display is staggering, you might as well put bleach on that one. It might come up a treat! But you always used that camera everywhere. :D

17. johnriley1uk

It's amazing there's even a small bird stuck to the sensor and some red Letraset....some photographers do shoot in bad conditions! :D

18. Monobod

And that was just the viewfinder! :D :D

19. Done_rundleCams

:D

Hi John,

Oh you know us wannabe PJ's .... anything to get the picture

Cheers,

Jack

20. Done_rundleCams

Re: Problems with Hot Pixels //ojb28

Hi OJB,

Thanks very much and I liked your idea of entering the photo somewhere and so
    I googled part of your post -- see above -- and received some very interesting
    repsonses .... ...See Here for Google Results :eek: :cool: :) :D :D .................. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack