1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with 16-50 autofocus

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Wheelu, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

It sounds like a bag of bones when focusing, but it has been that way for a while. However, lately, it has been failing to find the focus, or reporting focus found on a blurred image. I scrubbed the contacts on both lens and camera, and initial tests seem to suggest this might have cured the problem. I suspect that repair costs may exceed the value of the lens, so fingers crossed that dirt was the problem!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hope it is fine. If replacing, I suggest buying camera + lens kit and then selling the camera. Great value that way!

3. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Thanks Zou, crazy, but I guess that's the way it is!

Cleaning the contacts appears to have fixed the problem however, I can continue my love, but mainly hate, relationship with this lens for a while longer!

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have one of these and it is certainly sharp, I don't actually use it much at present, but I don't hate it!

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Same for me. Not great wide open but stopped down more than sufficient for my needs.

6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

It's not abominable, but neither is it stunning. I find images taken with it to lack sparkle, although I would agree that edge sharpness in particular is pretty good. Whenever I have tested it against an old manual focus prime the older lens produces larger JPGs, suggesting that it is collecting more detail. I've carried out this test at 28, 35, and 50 mm, and the results are much the same. I therefore only use it when weight/volume are of the essence, I.e. when I don't want carry a bag full of old glass.