1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Problem with my K-m...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Fnuggi, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Fnuggi

Fnuggi Member

Hi,

I was at the field with my pony giving her a bit of exercise running around beside her the other day, and of course my camera was with me.
    I thought it was a bit of a nuisance, because the camera bag kept bumping, or else gliding forwards, so it was difficult to run, lol.

Anyway, I started holding the bag while running so that it wouldn't be so much in the way.
    Afterwards, I was going to take a photo, and found that the button I use for turning the camera on, auto-focus, and capturing photos, didn't work properly.
    I had to turn the switch several times before the camera responded and turned on; and even then it was impossible to auto-focus.
    I can use manual focus of course, but I often need the auto-focus for taking quicker pictures, and besides I need that button for a few other things too.
    And since the half-way-function of the button no longer works, I don't think it's the right thing to force it to take pictures either, is it?

So, have you heard about a problem like that before?
    Could you please help me, perhaps?
    It might be something loose inside the camera.. :(

PS, posting a picture to show which button I am referring to, if you didn't figure out by yourself:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0809/Pentax/Topdown.jpg
    (it's the switch which says "OFF ON" - the silver button inside that is the one which doesn't work now)

Thank you in advance..!

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

If it is still in warrantee, I would suggest contacting Pentax to get it sorted. Have you tried taking out the battery and replacing it, it may not do any good, but it might reset something.

If it is outside of warrantee, then I would suggest contacting pentax anyway for a quote to get it repaired. It is difficult to say what has happened, but if the camera was knocked it may have suffered some internal damage.

What a shame, I hope you get it sorted.

I have used these people and had good service for repairs:

www.asahiphoto.co.uk

3. Fnuggi

Fnuggi Member

Thanks a lot, Monobod!
    I think it's outside the warranty.
    Thank you for your tips!!! :):)

Do you think it would be expensive if Asahi photo LTD fix it for me?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
    I think it's a shame it stopped working too, I wasn't aware that they were THAT fragile, you know.. :(

Regards!

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

I returned an olympus before for repair to a damaged on/off zoom switch and I was charged around £20, so no I doubt it would be that expensive if its just the switch broken. It would get more expensive if there is something damaged internally... :(

Ask for a quote, thats your best bet. ;)

5. Fnuggi

Fnuggi Member

Sounds great!!
    Thank you, mate ;)
    And yeah, I hope there isn't anything damaged inside it =c

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Asahi Photo will give an estimate over the phone normally.

7. Fnuggi

Fnuggi Member

That sorts things out, I'll call them as soon as possible.
    Thank you!