1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Problem with formatting with Nikon D70

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Cromlix, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Cromlix

Cromlix New Member

Currently I am using memory cards that I have been using for the last 10 years. A problem has arisen with my Nikon D70 inasmuch as part way through taking pictures the camera stops working and advises me to format the card.Obviously if I do format the card I will lose all my pictures that I have taken on it.
    Do memory cards, as they age, give this problem?
    I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me.
    Thank you

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly there is a finite life in terms of read/write cycles for memory cards, and if you've been using them for 10 years, it could be that. Worth trying a new card to be sure - if that doesn't work, then I'm afraid it must be a camera fault.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Mine stopped for a while, but recovered -- with the same cards! -- then I tried it again after it had been in a drawer for maybe a year and was wondering about getting rid of it. My guess is that the cards are marginal and that if I really want to continue using it I should buy at least one new card. I couldn't believe how expensive they are, though, as compared with SD cards, so I haven't yet; the more so as I don't really need it.

Cheers,

R.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Yes, I wondered about that. Any recommendations as to make?

Cheers,

R.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Sorry. I've got rid of mine because I don't have CF cameras any more (apart from the Coolpix 990) and can't remember the brands. I suspect they're all made in the same factory in any case with different screen printed cover panels.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Seem likely.

Thanks anyway,

R.

8. Cromlix

Cromlix New Member

Thank you for your replies.
    Pardon my ignorance but, how does the SD to compact flash adapter work? Do I buy the smaller memory cards currently on sale and fit them into the adapter?
    Thanks

9. Andrew Flannigan

Yes. But do check the maximum memory your camera can address. If the camera can only address 500MB don't put an 8GB SD card in the adapter.

10. Cromlix

Cromlix New Member

Thank you for your help Andrew.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This is not the first time I have seen comments made by people who seem to have only one or two memory cards. I must be unusual in that I have no fewer than 12 16GB CF cards, each of my D3 bodies takes two cards so that is 2 in each camera and two spare sets. The reasoning being that I can download the images to a computer while I am away from home and keep the cards as back-up until I get home, it seems to work. I have two 32GB cards for the D4 but I am contemplating a couple of XQD cards as well as (if) the price comes down.

Is it really sensible to rely on just one or two cards?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on what you do with them. I don't take all that many pictures so the read-write limit is years away and I almost never take a card out of the camera so there is no wear and tear. Except for an XE-2, which is cardless since I bought a XH-1 and robbed it, my cameras have dual slots so if one card does fail I'm not stuck.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fair enough, though I would still want one, or more, spare cards so that I didn't have to format a card away from home.

Clearly I am a more prolific shooter than you, I have taken nearly 3,500 since getting the D4 in late July.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes - that's more an annual total for me - in a busy year. If I take as many as 50 in a day that is a lot. If I do an event and take more then I find sorting them to find keepers exceedingly tedious.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Geoff,

I always format cards in the camera, so I don't care where I do it. What's the objection? Or is this just another example of my ignorance of computers?

Cheers,

R.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is about back-up Roger. I can copy the images to my computer anywhere but I may not be able to back-up the computer until I get home. If I keep the used card somewhere safe I have a back-up copy until I get home. I only ever format cards in the camera, but not before making a couple of copies. Hence my large collection of CF cards; when we go on holiday nothing gets deleted until we get home so I could end up with holiday pictures across a number of cards.

17. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Six years ago I invested £50 in a 500GB USB hard drive. It’s not much bigger than my mobile phone, and much cheaper than the equivalent storage in cards. 500GB had been enough for our longest and most photogenic holidays so far (and I guess you’d get quite a bit more capacity for the price today). When on holiday, each evening, if practical, I copy the day’s photos into a folder on my laptop, then copy that folder onto the portable hard drive. I check an area of the first and last JPEGs displays OK at 100%, and then reformat the card(s) I’ve been using.

I guess you have to be pretty well organized keeping track of all those cards, Geoff!

Chris

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I too have a USB hard drive, in my case 2TB bought in Monterey, but that does mean carrying many years of images around. I don't consider that ideal either.

Not really. six are Lexar and the other 6 SanDisk so one D3 generally gets one make and the second gets the other. Having only two cards for the D4 is more of a problem but I hope to rectify that soon.