1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

Probably a Really Stupid Speed Graphic Question...

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Fishboy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

As part of my continuing acquisition of cameras that I've always wanted but never got around to buying, I've just taken delivery of a nice miniature Speed Graphic.

The one I've got has the Graphic (spring) back rather than the Graflok and I'm currently keeping an eye out for an Adapt-A-Roll 620 so that I can use it with 120 roll film without removing the back.

What I'm stuck on at the moment is focussing using the ground glass screen. I can't work out how to lock the shutter open while I focus - I found a user manual online but I'm still none the wiser.

The lens is the Kodak Ektar 101mm f4.5.

If anybody with experience of these little monkeys can point me in the right direction I'll be very grateful.

Cheers, Jeff

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

Never mind the lens: what's the shutter? That's what you need to look up.

If it doesn't have a proper lens opening lever; or a T setting; or possibly an interrupter on the cocking lever (and some shutters have none of these, such as 00 Compurs if I recall) then the only answer is a locking cable release on B.

Cheers,

R.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Roger has got it in one. It depends very much on the shutter the lens is set in.
    As it is a speed graphic rather than a crown, it might have a focal plane shutter. If it does it will have an open setting. T

read this especially regarding film backs...
    http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It has a focal plane shutter (that's the one that's operated by the wind-up bit on the side with the shutter release just below it) as well as one on the lens board.

The one on the lens board is a 'Kodak Flash Supermatic' shutter, and having just taken it out of the case to check I've noticed that there's an entire dial around the outside of the shutter that I'd somehow failed to see...guess what...I can now set it so that the shutter stays open on the 'T' setting!

Cheers, Jeff

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

You would be more than lucky if the focal plane shutter is still working well. They usually have problems with parallelism. Speed. And self capping. And can be full of pinholes when the rubber coating perishes.
    In most instances the front shutter is far more useful.
    I rather preferred the Crown Graphic as a user camera.
    my last one had a working kalart range finder, parallax corrected viewfinder and the 1/1000 second front shutter. The range finder also projected a light image of an bulb element for focus in the dark. And the graphic version of an international back.