1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Printing stereo pairs - any experience?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by gray1720, Jul 26, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Last night I finally got as far as opening the CD of scans from my stereo Trip 35 rig - it's only taken 8 years! - and thinking about making up some stereo prints.

Has anyone done this previously who can offer any advice? I got as far as a fiddle in Photoshop with Hair Like Brian May Blues' template, and had a little play with a stereo image program from Japan he links, but got no further before knackeredness overtook me.

If not, and if anyone else is interested, I'll try to document the process.

Fen likes this.
  2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not able to help on this, but would be interested in seeing your results :)

3. gray1720

OK, I'll have a go later in the week - today will be a rapid trip to the allotment followed by cricket, so no time!

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When I first saw the title I was thinking of a mask that you might use with an enlarger to print a stereo pair but I now realise you are thinking of an inkjet printer!
    You could use Word and insert the images side by side, in landscape format, at a suitable spacing. You should be able to get a decent image quality from that.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You can arrange things in Photoshop.

Open the two pics you want to print, then File>Automate>Contact Sheet II

Then: Document width 25.4; height 20.32

Then Thumbnails columns 2; rows 1

?Use Auto-spacing or set your own

Ignore the little diagram on the right of the box, it lies.

Press ok

You should end up with the two pics side-by-side with a small gap between them. Print.

Get the pics in the proper order when opening [i.e. left one first], or I suspect you may end up cross-eyed.

S

ps I hope this is what you are after! And don't ask me to repeat it in the a.m, I'll have forgotten.

6. gray1720

Sadly, printing my own in the darkroom is a way off yet!

ETA - cross-posted with Steve, that looks great, thank you!

7. steveandthedogs

If I can work out how to take a screenshot on this lapdog I'll post it.
    Don't hold your breath.

S

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

On an ipad press the power and control buttons together and the screen shot is stored in photos

9. steveandthedogs

It's an ageing Windows machine. God knows.

Oh hell, he's a bright lad, I'm sure he can work it out.

S

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

To the right on most keyboards is a PrintScreen key. Press that (or that plus Alt to get the current 'live' window) and it copies it into clipboard. Open your favorite picture editor, load the clipboard and away you go.

11. steveandthedogs

Ah.

Right, will try that.

Thanks Steve

S

12. steveandthedogs

Right then:

stereo-1.jpg

ContactSheet-001.jpg

S

ps All right, all right, I know they aren't stereo...

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Not mono either:rolleyes:

Coat on!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Many years ago we used to print them by contact from glass plates, or cut film.

"Standard stereocards are exactly 7 inches wide and 3.5 inches high. The images are typically 3 inches wide and the height varies from 3 inches to 3.25 inches. There is (and was) no set standard for a septum between the images. Some have them, most do not."

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have no experience but if I had to do this then I would create a pdf file in Affinity publisher and print that. Their 90 day trial has ended so you would have to negotiate a steep learning curve and do the job within 7 days to avoid paying. If you managed that you might be tempted to buy it and Affinity photo as well:).