1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printer Drivers - effect on results

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by PeteRob, Sep 26, 2021.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A couple of (or a few) weeks back there was a letter in AP bemoaning that the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 was not supported under Mac OS Catalina. My 9500 has kept working through every OS update, even Catalina, even though it is also no longer supported. I can't remember the last time I updated the Canon driver - but probably 3 OS-X updates ago before it all went 64 bit. I've been having some trouble with reproducing some blue tones, which I put down to ink blockage because cyan is always the first ink to block. I thought I'd try updating the ICC profile but Permajet no longer support the printer. Before I go to the expense of deep cleaning the heads and maybe getting some custom profiles could it be a driver issue ? I'm assuming that it has kept using the Canon driver - possibly it is now using a Catalina generic version, not sure how that works.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I too have noticed that some software that doesn’t, according to the manufacturer, support a MacOS with continue to work if the OS was loaded underneath the application but said application cannot be installed to the same OS. I think MacOS looks for driver updates but, not having a Canon printer, I have no idea whether it will do so for yours.

By the way, as MacOS is now at version 11.6 it cannot really be called OS X.

3. PeteRob

That's Big Sur - for the risc architecture, although it will run on some later intel platforms. I'm on 10.15.7 which is the latest a 2012 iMac will run.

The dialogue box for the printer hasn't changed at all. Whether the underlying driver has been swapped out I don't know. So far I noticed it only on clothing. I'll recalibrate the monitor just in case that has gone off and I'm blaming the wrong thing.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry Pete, I forgot your iMac was 2012, mine is 2011 so I have no excuse. Printer heads do get clogged but surely you can print a nozzle check pattern?

5. PeteRob

yes the nozzle patterns print clean - not obviously clogged to that degree - but the test doesn't evaluate whether the ink flow is correct over all the density range. I'm getting wool jumpers that are much darker blue than they should be as if more ink is being laid down at higher densities -I'll do some colour charts and calibration. Annoying thing is that my monitor is also no longer supported so I've lost hardware calibration and if the LUTs are being changed a lot that could have a knock on effect on the printer calibration. Everything wears out eventually. It's annoying, especially as I have a large part of the cost of a printer sitting in spare inks - I stocked up in case there was a Covid supply problem.