1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prince Philip driving without seat belt.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Photos have emerged clearly showing Prince Philip driving his new Freelander on a public road on the Sandringham Estate without a seat belt just days after causing an accident which (Thankfully it didn't) could have turned out quite serious. The photos can be seen by Googling " prince philip driving without seat belt" - For some reason it will not allow me to post this media link.
    Does the fact that he is a (Foreign) member of the Royal Family make him exempt of British driving laws. I'm sure if that was me or any other "non-titled" person we would end up with a fair old fine!
    What are your thoughts please?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yawn

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

Maybe. Maybe not. Most coppers have enough sense to "have a word" rather than immediately trying for "a fair old fine".

Cheers,

R.

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is the Sandringham estate public roads? If not, it's a non-story, other than a reminder that daft see you next tuesdays are just that.

Mark101, peterba and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

7. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

You mean the royals aren't treat the same as us? Why didn't I know this?

Zou likes this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Aren't all prosecutions in the UK made in the name of the monarch? Rex v..., Regina v...

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I suppose if he did get booked he could always phone the missis up to organise a Royal pardon to get him off the hook !

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I think so too....Crown Prosecution Service?

And I don't think the queen has a passport either, FWIW..... Just calls ahead and gets permission to enter countries, or something like that IIRC.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Word is his next car is going to be an orange Dodge Charger with a confederate flag on the roof. Apparently the duke's a hazard.

Petrochemist, Snorri, GeoffR and 9 others like this.
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I thought she just stood at the desk sideways and pulled a fiver out and said "that's me !"

daft_biker likes this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sandringham Estate roads are private roads so he can do what he likes. Probably a good job he's not going hunting or else the journalists will have to stay their distance

Zou likes this.
  14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm not sure it is as simple as that if the public have access to the roads.

RogerMac likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I think it is a case of driver beware...there may be wild animals or there may be Phillip in his car with a gun... either way it could end up ugly

16. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I've visited often and they are virtually all public roads apart from the entrance ways to the house and some dirt tracks into the woods

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

image1.jpeg

miked, Roger Hicks and RogerMac like this.
  18. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

According to today's news the police have "spoken to Prince Philip regarding the photos of him driving without a seat belt".

19. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I live in a rural area with a few drivers like this - old men in ridiculously big cars... they've always driven big cars, and refuse to let old age (with its vision, hearing and reaction time problems) stop them continuing until they kill somebody or lose their license for medical reasons. They can be very dangerous in supermarket car parks, and would still be dangerous in much smaller cars but easier to avoid when they reverse without being able to see where they are going.
    Some also reach the stage where insurance costs become prohibitive, but this won't be the case here. It's not as if there isn't anybody else available to drive him.

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not only in car parks.
    I once had one coming straight at me the wrong way around a roundabout. Oddly, it happened on the same roundabout a few weeks later, but with a different driver. Mind you, this was in a remote part of the island and there were only two roundabouts on the island at the time.

S

Catriona likes this.