1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Prime Lens - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by rhibop, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed, although funnily enough for exactly the opposite reasons. I rarely use anything over 35/40mm and I have the 10-24mm plus the 16mm f1.4 . But the 18-55mm is so convenient.

This lens business is really rather funny. I have a rake of Fuji lenses although in prime nothing over 50mm, I did have the 56mm but never used it. Anyway going through my stuff I would say my most used lenses were the 18 and 27mm, followed by the 18-55mm. Now I seem to remember when Fuji started off with mirrorless they used to supply the camera as a kit with both these lenses......

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

P.S.

And of course the 18-55mm has the f2.8 -f4 over the f4- ( forgotten ,is it F5.6?) advantage. Think both have IOS but that is something I never think of using.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My venture into Fuji came with the kit of X-Pro1 with the 18 and 27mm lenses. I quickly added the 18-55 and no longer have the two supplied with the camera as I found the 18-55 was so good I never used the 18mm, I later sold the 27mm after buying a used camera with a 23mm, a lens I also seldom use, as the 18-55 is so good!

Phiggys and Done_rundleCams like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

That's Fuji mania!!!!!!I sold my 18mm and my 27mm, then my 18-55mm. Then bought them all again. In fact I think I'm on the third 18-55mm.....crazy I know.

I have now learned my lesson. I have a redundant 10-24 . a 35mm f1.4 and 16mm f 1.4 am I going to sell them? NO MPB have made enough out of me in the last couple of years.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Sorry to hear about the loss of your puppy, Brian :( and glad to hear that everything else in your life is ticketyboo :) Yep, the 16-80/4 is a tad heavier
    and I do know that you are a Prime lens guy and I know, more than a few people, who would agree with you about the X-E3 :) including a co-worker ;).

And, yep, I'm still flogging kit at the same store and still shooting (mostly) street oriented stuff along with going to see way too many movies :eek: For a change,
    I went out with a roll of Ilford Ortho (80 ASA) film and shot some landscapey (ish) oriented photos and, actually, didn't mind it :eek: ... :)

Cheers and continued good shooting :)

Jack

6. Phiggys

Phiggys Member

Have you thought about a old mf lens ?
    one i would recommend is a Helios 58mm f2.0 with a dumb adapter it is easy to focus with focus peaking and can create some exceptional bokeh all at a budget price :)

7. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

The OP has not been back since March 1, and she didn't post again, so I guess she's made her decision?

But interesting views anyway - and for me the classic f1.4 and f1.2 primes are my favourites, and my least used lens is the 18-55 mainly because I'm a bokeh junkie. But most fun to use would be a manual focus Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 SC bought used at a fair.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Or maybe she got fed up of reading through contradictory recommendations, unhelpful questions and conversations between posters?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

With a thread title like 'Prime Lens - Worth it?', where if we had to avoid contradictory recommendations and 'unhelpful' questions , all anybody could say would be 'yes' or 'no'.

Often the conversations wander off topic because the question or subject was so poorly worded by the original poser so we are forced to imagine what they want or need to know, hence my usual question 'what do you want to do with the images?' Saying 'I know the basics and mostly just take photos when I travel' does not answer this.

Digitalmemories likes this.