1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Price Increase

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For visibility you can't beat a dumper. From the raised driving position you can see all four wheels. I didn't renew my ticket last time I required a refresher course. I stood down for a younger person. The main reason for driving a dumper was for path repairs in late Winter. It gets very cold up there. Obviously to start driving a dumper is like driving a big Tonka Toy. Great fun until you start freezing. A young volunteer, of working age, who did the course actually got a proper job. His volunteering was good for the park and was very good for him.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My series one Land rover that I had in Kenya had synchromesh on 3rd and fourth but was crash on first and second. I don't think that it was designed that way. It was an ex police vehicle with the long wheel base gear train and wheels but was actually short wheelbase. I also drove a 3 ton Bedford truck on safaris. The thing that scared me about that was that on the outward journey as well as our own equipment we carried a significant quantity of aviation spirit. I had school teacher's holidays and it made sense for me and another schoolteacher to drive the truck in advance of other members of trips flying in. We made a profit on the excess aviation fuel. Often American dollars cash in hand.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes. Pass on an auto then you can’t drive a manual. Autos these days are pretty good. My car has a dual auto mode - ordinary and ‘sports’. The sports box can be driven like a sequential change manual but the main advantage is that its auto-setting is one gear down on “drive”. I use it for enhanced engine braking, downshift for going down steep hills where I’d put our manual into 3rd. Car has more than enough torque to accelerate for overtaking in normal drive.

4. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes!

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well they would be, they are made by the same company using mostly identical parts. Both are VAG, as are Volkswagen and Seat. It's known as economy of scale.

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Too true. Here are some other 'interesting' things one needs to consider, (the last time I was over there, was in 2000.) when driving in France:
    [1] Traffic goes anti-clockwise on roundabouts.
    [2] On main roads, you have to give way to traffic from minor roads.
    [3] As you approach a toll road, the Police will often be there doing spot-checks; they seem to love looking out for UK number plates!

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Nothing with a GCP? (That's Gear Control Pedal to the uninitiated). Preselect the gear you want, then bang down on the GCP when you want it, as fitted to Saracen and Ferret armoured vehicles.

The story goes (probably apocryphal) that the army wanted fully automatic, but the drivers kept using the brake as a clutch pedal (known as Steve Transit mode :D). You'd be amazed at what happens when that happens at the front of a fast-moving column of vehicles, and you know nothing of whiplash until hit up the jacksie by an eleven ton no-crumple-zone armoured box! As a result the cheapest fix was to change the auto to a preselected type of box with a third pedal.

8. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Number two is an oft repeated canard (but let me finish before you start spluttering :)). It stems from a historic law that has been modified extensively because even the French began to worry about the number of accidents! In more than 30 years of extensive driving in France I've never been caught out.

Having said that it's a canard I now need to admit that it (AFAIK) is still the law but it's been overruled through signage. In other words priority from the right is cancelled where the signs say so and the signs say so over the huge majority of French roads and certainly say so on main roads. I have never, ever, come across it when I've been on the main road.
    In any event if the old rule still stands you will , in 99% of cases (I actually believe in 100% but there's bound to be a smart alec that corrects me if I say that!) see a very clear sign warning you.
    So you have two lots of signs. One which over most of France cancels priorite a droite and another , in rare places, that reminds you that it still applies in, say, a particular village.

Google it - lots of advice available.

MickLL

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It would be amusing to watch someone drive my car who didn't know what the three pedals were.
    Accelerator, brake, Accelerator.
    Of course, the only thing that would make it more amusing is if they pushed the little green button to switch it to the left foot accelerator:D

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have driven thousands of miles in France. Never had a problem driving there. The motorways are generally quite empty. If you see a sign warning of speed cameras be aware that within a couple of KM there will be one. Generally different to ours, lower to the ground and face you.
    I have never been stopped by the police there, never really noticed them waiting at tolls either with a purpose.
    I have been stopped in Switzerland and Spain (3 times) for routine checks and apart from once when they searched my car, never had an issue. Two of those in Spain I was in a hire car and when they found out I was English they just waved me on.
    Just be aware of the laws as there are a few differences.
    If your car doesn’t have a digital dashboard that you can switch to KM, get an app for your phone that shows your speed in KM, it can make driving easier. (I had a car where the KM were almost invisibly printed on the speedo)

11. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Agree with all of that (except that I've never been stopped) . In fact waiting in a queue once I realised that all the folk in front were being breath tested. When I got to the front they just waved me through. I hadn't been drinking and so wouldn't have minded anyway.

It's a real pleasure driving in France. As Nige says the M'Ways are pretty clear except, maybe, if the road goes through or very close to a big city. I find that I can cover many more miles, or maybe km even!, than in the UK without stress and without speeding.

It is said that entry and exit times to toll roads are used to monitor speeding but I don't know if that's true. You can get 'done' at a toll booth but that's often because you have been 'clocked' elsewhere and your number relayed on.

MickLL

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have driven for several hundred KM on cruise control and never had to alter it. I agree that around big cities it can get busier but on the whole good drives. The service stations are, on the whole also very good, not stupidly expensive and are very frequent. Even just service areas with just a loo and picnic tables are very common.
    I mentioned speed cameras earlier. From my experience, you don't have to be going that fast to get a ticket! I was doing 97km/hr on a 90 section of a motorway (that I was virtually alone on) and I got a €45 fine. (The notice came to my UK address for driving my UK registered car). That may well not happen after Brexit of course when we no longer agree to the sharing of data.