1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Price Increase

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 15, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Do you think the price increase for flights back from France or have to face a 2 week self isolation are justified? Considering the increases are reported to be as much as 6 fold above what would be normal, or are the airlines being just plain greedy. I have not heard or mention of extra flights being involved.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Because of the pandemic the unit costs of all passenger transport have increased. I think the airlines are charging so much more because they have fewer passengers but the same overheads.

Learning and ascu75 like this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. It is also the case that airlines are in dire financial straits now.

RogerMac and Learning like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Pricing always has been like this. I spent a lot of my working life travelling on business and advanced vs scheduled flight prices always miles apart. I remember sitting (fuming) on the tarmac waiting for take-off on a much delayed flight to find I was siting next to some-one who'd paid £30 for a ticket whereas mine was nearer £600 I think. This was years and years ago. Even just going from Chester to Brussels (rtn) by train the fare can vary by more than £300 for same tickets depending on day/time of travel and how far ahead you book.

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Just don't go to France .
    Problem solved . ;)

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think anyone choosing to go abroad right now, needs to think 'Can I afford to get home'.

Learning and Zou like this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have only been abroad twice, once to Paris and once to Switzerland when we won a competition by Fuji Film :)

BUT when the new car comes my son and I will be going to France, I want to but am dreading it, as much as NEVER EVER having driven an automatic before and the didn't do a manual

8. Stephen Rundle

Tough luck on the idiots who did go in the middle of a pandemic then moan when the rules change if they were that stupid not to think ahead

neilt3 likes this.
  9. Stephen Rundle

100%

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. Driving on the right will soon take your mind off the technicalities of controlling the vehicle.

The only thing to remember with an automatic is not to work the clutch, stick your left foot under the seat behind your right leg and keep it there.

Zou likes this.
  11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with you. I have driven in over half the countries in Europe and I find the French drivers to not be in the top drawer in quality. Plus I don't like their food! Harwich to Hook of Holland and the worlds your oyster!

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

First time I drove an auto was in a Transit. Setting off from some traffic lights, I went to change gear and did a very impressive emergency stop.

Spent the next two days driving with my left leg in the passenger footwell.

S

13. Stephen Rundle

All I remember from Paris was that I was almost run over by a bloody idiot on a motorbike ON the PAVEMENT

14. Stephen Rundle

It took me ages to get used to the electronic handbrake in my Scenic

The car doesn't even have a gear type stick for P D R or whatever seriously !!!!!

Also, and I am being serious, it has a large annoying thing you can't see over the end called a bonnet, a scenic is like a transit slopes away :(:(:(:(

Image1.jpg

View from a Scenic

Image1.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The first time I drove an auto was at work in a senior manager's car. A bloke who ran the car pool (we had such people in those days) gave me 5 minutes instruction in the factory car park and I was off.I had travelled to another site with a colleague who returned the same day. I ferried the rather posh Audi back to Newark two days later after doing some computer stuff. No problems. I wasn't converted then. I didn't like the torque converter. I do drive a twin clutch automatic now of choice.
    What really struck me about the posh Audi was how familiar were the controls and switches. Many were identical to those in my own lowly Skoda.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The first time I drove in France was in my own car. Fortunately I was with a climbing friend who on several times, in near panic, said "Right, on the f*** right." I have driven LHD cars in Europe with no problem many times since. I decided only to drive a RHD vehicle in countries that drive on the left. For Europe I fly as close to my destination as possible and then hire a LHD car.

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Having driven auto for many years (in my own cars and those at work which were all auto) I have had the issue in reverse. Driving a manual car up to a stop and forgetting to use a clutch!

19. Stephen Rundle

Now that this motability car is coming (it is my sons as you know with me as the driver) he can learn to drive he is REALLY happy now that he doesn't have to learn gears and with all cars to be electric and never needing to have a manual he is not worried about not having a licence for a manual

Do you sill have to re take the exam in a manual if you have passed in an auto ?

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

In a typical day at work I could potentially switch between vehicles with crash and synchro mesh manual, semi-automatic, fully automatic, hydrostatic and torque converter transmission. Heck, two of the vehicles could even be driven autonomously. Never an issue switching between them. The one time I owned an automatic car I was either doing a Steve in a Transit or Nige in a manual when I drove my wife's car.