1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Price Difference?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by DekHog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

Let's hope the test is earlier in April because that way you can take advantage of the
    less expensive airfares to Vancouver :D

Cheers and, BTW, we're still waiting for some Sigma 10-20 pics ;)

Jack

2. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

I suspect that news report has done wonders for all the manufacturers that launched new models in February.

Is this your first DSLR or a replacement for an older model?

Please let us know how you get on with it and what your impressions are.

I'm in much the same position, I'm holding out in the expectation of a fall in price. In my case, the K20D will be my first DSLR - though I got my first SLR 25 years ago - a K1000 of course!

Despite the current weakness of sterling, I'd be very surprised to see a price rise in these new bodies. One of the reasons for sterling's weakness is the uncertainty in the economy, the feel good factor has gone (or is going) and people are tightening their belts. Under these circumstances discresionary spending on "luxury" items like new DSLRs is one of the first things to dry up. It's not as though the K20D is likely to be many people's first DSLR either, so most sales will probably come from upgraders - again when things get tight people hold off. Under these circumstances, the vendors only have one card to play - discount to the point where it still looks like a bargin.

You've only got to read through this thread to see there are plenty of people ready to upgrade, once the early adopters have paid full whack and the price starts to fall.

Well - at least that's what I keep telling myself! So I'm trying to hold out for a couple more months!!

Which gives you all ample chance to come back and mock me if Pentax do raise their prices :mad:

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I think the price is already hiked (hyped?), because the Samsung version has been forced up to meet the Pentax already. Obviously there must have been some slack in the Pentax pricing to allow them to drop the price in a few months time after those who 'must have it now' for one or other reason have pushed up the manufacturer's profits a bit.

I think perhaps the lenses and flashguns may go up in price, but probably not the bodies, unless the Pound falls through the floor. If that happens, we will have more to worry about than just the price of cameras!

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

There's an interesting article on the pricing of cameras (focussing on potential Canon 5D replacements, but pretty general) on Mike Jonston's The Online Photographer site here.

5. Casillero

Casillero Member

Re: Price Difference? Act Quickly!

This may or may not be a blunder, but if you want to try it it looks a steal!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-50-200mm-...9742&sr=1-3

Having just ordered mine elsewhere I could kick myself. :eek: But you might get one at this price. :cool:

Terry

6. Crosstalk

Sold by Avides Media AG. - based in Germany. Personally I'd rather deal with a UK seller - just in case there was a problem down the line.

I can't help but think that for the dual lens kit, it has to be a mistake.

That said, there is a vaguely amusing irony in a German organisation offering the K20D at that price given the justification for the Olympus price rise.

7. Ian_E

Ian_E Well-Known Member

I reckon it's the K200 and not the K20.
    The pics are of the k200

8. Casillero

Casillero Member

Just a few more thoughts on the feasibility/infeasibility of this really being the K20D:

Firstly, although the pictures are of the K200D (this might just be a website error), all the wording is for the K20D!

Secondly, if you go to "More about this product", all the wording is for the K20D.

Thirdly, the company is Avides (not Amazon with their inflated prices), and is in Germany as you rightly say. And the mailing cost is £4.50 if I remember rightly.

And finally, if you go to ordering, all the wording is for the K20D.

So what are we to believe? Is it just the images which are wrong? Or is the description completely up the creek? If the words on paper confirm the K20D then that is what you should get.

I'm not sure about Pentax warranties. But I think that their warranty is applicable in whatever country you are with the camera, and not the source you buy it from.

So it is up to you to decide. You could be missing the chance of a lifetime!

Terry

9. Crosstalk

There again,

If you go direct to the Avides Media AG website and look for the K20D, they don't list the 2 lens kit, but the do offer the 18-55 kit at €1307 - around £1100 (based on tourist exchange rates rather than inter-bank rates).

They do offer the K200D with dual lens kit at €908, around £756 at tourist rates.

My money's on it being the K200D - but I guess you could always email them to confirm.

True, it could be an amazing bargin, but as the old adage goes, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

10. Casillero

Casillero Member

Hi Phil,

I reckon you are probably right about it being the K200D with two kit lenses. I found this on Avides website in Germany:

Pentax K200D 18-55 + 50-200 - Digitale SLR-Kamera - Elektronik und Foto
    1 AVIDES-Angebot für 907,89 EUR
    Preis inkl. MwSt zzgl. Versand
    Verfügbar: Versandfertig in 1-4 Werktagen

907.89 EUR at today's (Sunday) rates converts to £GB as about £719.14

What would the position be as they had wrongly given all the details as the K20D? I reckon they would find a way to squirm out of it!

Terry

11. Monobod

What a shame we cannot legally hold them to an offer!

12. Casillero

Casillero Member

I gave up on Samsung after they raised their prices, and then kept them high. The difference in prices had then become negligible. So I went for the Pentax K20D. It's a great camera, and I'm looking forward to using it more as the months go along.
    A couple of days after I bought the K20D I noticed that a few dealers online had reduced their prices by about £20, so a gradual drop in prices might be starting.
    Terry

13. Monobod

I would be very interested in your thoughts on Richard's review in AP 12/04/08.

14. Casillero

Casillero Member

15. Monobod

Re: At last some competitive prices!

With the £100 cashback on the Pentax, this offer has fallen by the wayside.