1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Price Difference?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by DekHog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

Well, I was thinking of buying one, but not any more. Long live the revolution!

It seems that Amazon's price was not an error. Park cameras are now listing the GX20 body only for £849 (previously they only listed a £25 reservation fee). That's £50 more than their K20D body only price.

Samsung are now starting to look like idiots.

2. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I promise not to buy one in the near future, Monobod. :D

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Sounds a bit like an auction. By next week they will be up to £2000!

And what am I bid for this lovely piece if machinery and electronics, circa 2008, do I hear £3000. No, then who will start me at £450? :D

Bargain Hunt style!

4. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Park cameras are advertising the GX-20 body for the same price as the K20D twin lens kit :eek:

5. Monobod

Is this a confusion or has the world gone completely insane?

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The world has always been completely insane but we've all been too busy to notice...

7. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

Insane I'm sure.

I hope that when we finally get the AP review of the GX-20 there will be a suitable explanation for a £200+ price hike between product launch and general availability.

It's hard to imagine they will sell any when it's even parity priced with the K20D, let alone higher priced.

Somebody somewhere's going to have a very red face :eek:

8. Monobod

Not only that, but we all know that the now hiked up price is just profiteering. If they could sell it at the anounced launch price and make a living, the added value to them is just cream on the cake, whether it be the manufacturer or the dealerships who are benefiting, or both.

I certaily will NOT be buying at these prices.

Pentax and Samsung need to think again. IMHO they are not going to retain our loyalty by ripping us off. :mad:

9. Casillero

Casillero Member

Samsung certainly dropped a clanger as far as I am concerned. I was on the point of ordering the GX-20 last weekend (Mar 1/2). Then on Monday 3rd the price jumped enormously to about the £1000 mark. Now that they are charging virtually the same as the Pentax K20D I have dropped the idea of buying the Samsung in favour of the Pentax. There is virtually no difference between the two cameras, so the price factor was very much in favour of the Samsung. But that factor has evaporated completely now! I will go for the Pentax, but when the prices have dropped considerably. I can wait - after all I am only a peasant. But peasants have been known to revolt!

I am very disappointed with Samsung. I had been advocating the Samsung upgrade. I have the GX-10 and was prepared to upgrade to the GX-20. But not now! :mad:

Terry

10. DekHog

DekHog Member

I'd been looking around myself and noticed the price difference never appeared to be what has been quoted pre-release, although the Samsung did still appear quoted at around £100-£200 less.

Probably a case of what people are willing to pay more than actual worth of the goods - I hardly think Pentax are in a position to pressure Samsung on this, so Samsung are the culprits here.

I'd actually like to revolt as well and just buy a K10 or GX10, but know I would always feel like I'd sold myself short of what I really wanted.

11. Casillero

Casillero Member

Hi DekHog,

Either of the earlier Samsung and Pentax 10s should do you well, and some good prices are going around right now. The K10D is disappearing quickly off the shelves right now though.

However, if you can curb your impatience (I know it is difficult!), the 20s should start to fall in price fairly soon, as a lot of photographers already have the 10s. Unless they are very impressed with the 20s and want one immediately, the sales will probably be slower than they were last year. The GX-10 dropped in price about £150 in about two or three months. So I would advocate saving your money a bit longer, and then going for a 20 model.

Terry

12. johnriley1uk

The new AP arrived on my doormat this morning and the K20D, K200D, GX20 and the new lenses are all being widely listed. Prices seem to be around the same as those at Focus so, Amazon notwithstanding, there soesn't seem to have been much movement up or down at this stage.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if we phone up and try to order at the advertised prices as the published ones may have been set a while ago.

I'll be waiting for the dust to settle anyway, but the K20D will eventually be on the shopping list.

13. Monobod

From the 'first impressions' article in this weeks AP by Damien it seems to me that the Live View is simply an afterthought and is not that well executed, there being so many limitations on functions.

The very small (5 micron) photosites also offers concerns about noise. I will certainly wait for the full test promised next month before I decide if it is really worth the extra money. The trade in value of the K10D is going to be quite low, I'm sure, simply because the shop price has fallen, so it is a big cash outlay. Will the return be worth it? I am really not sure anymore. :( Perhaps a good choice for the first time buyer, but not so attractive for those of us with K10D or GX-10 bodies. Lets face it, these are absolutely excellent cameras anyway and are giving top quality images.

The money may well be better spent on top quality glass, or some other accessories. :)

14. johnriley1uk

Fair points, I'm tempted by lenses all the time...

But which ones do I actually need? I might go for a new macro lens at some point, simply because my FA 100mm is so heavy and bulky.

The again, perhaps a top quality longer telephoto...

15. Monobod

Pentax have announced the new smc DA 35mm f2.8 Macro limitd edition macro lens. This gives 53mm equivalent on the K10D and 1:1 magnification. It looks like a very nice contender John. :) But the working distance may be a bit close.

16. Casillero

Casillero Member

In my post of 05.03.2008 I made an error in that I gave the name of the camera as K20. This should have been Samsung GX-20. Here is my update to that post:

I am a bit mystified by the prices quoted by Amazon in the UK at the moment. While they were offering the sort of prices I would have expected until 1st March 2008, their prices increased very dramatically on the 4th of March. Today (5th March) the following are shown:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-GX20-Digital-18-55mm-50-200mm/dp/B00139XQYY/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Up to 1st of March, these were the prices they were showing:
    Samsung GX-20 Body only: £621.05
    Samsung GX-20 body and either the 18-55mm OR 50-200mm: £668.82
    Samsung GX-20 body plus both the 18-55mm and 50-200mm: £716.61

VERY STRANGE!

Has Samsung been pressurised by Pentax into higher prices, rather than Pentax lowering their prices to something similar to Samsung?

Has anyone in the group any information?

Terry

ERRATUM!
    I had listed those prices as KD20. THIS WAS COMPLETELY WRONG! I had meant GX-20!!!!

Terry

17. Monobod

I am sure there is some back room pressure being applied. The prices are way out of kilter IMHO.

Nice as it may be, I cannot see that the K20D or Samsung eq. is worth what they are asking. I will be waiting for the prices to drop as I am sure they will, even if it takes a while.

The only thing to change my mind would be a substantial financial windfall.

18. Casillero

Casillero Member

I have been hanging on and hanging on in the hope of a price reduction. Now I have gone ahead on the K20D. The reason?

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/new...ews_199975.html

What effect will this have on camera prices generally? If the British and World economies are getting into a parlous state, we could be in line for prices increases rather than reductions in the price of the Pentax/Samsung price conspiracy. So I decided that hanging on any longer possibly could result in paying more rather than less. :(

Terry

19. Monobod

Yes, I tend to agree with you if you need a camera now. I have just bought myself the Sigma 10-20 zoom for the same reason. I do need it unlike the K20D, which I can wait for.

I would obviously like one, but that is a different story.... :D

I am looking forward to the AP test report next month, I hope it is earlier than later in April.... :D

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Terry,

Firstly, you made a good decision on the camera and, secondly, perhaps for the
    wrong rationale as I have yet to see a "DSLR body" go up in price after it's release.

Occasionally, distributors will have a (slightly) lower price for a body
    or if bought in combination with a lens (or lenses) and then, in time, there
    is usually a price drop (or drops) over a period of time. This is/has been
    the case with Pentax (in Canada at least).

Regardless, the K20D is a cracking camera and none of my customers have
    been disappointed in the least :) and these are the ones who, when purchasing
    K10D, said the spouses/partners were going to kill them if they spent that much
    money :eek: and then they said the same thing when they were buying the
    DA* lenses :rolleyes:

So enjoy your new baby and I look forward to seeing some photo's :)

Cheers,

Jack