1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Difference?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by DekHog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. DekHog

DekHog Member

Hi all...

After reading so many reviews over the past couple of months, I'd finally decided on K10D for my first DSLR; the most bang for my buck, and the features I really wanted - then I thought I'd wait on the K20D coming out, which is the supposed replacement for the 10, and would obviously be better in some respects - but can anyone explain how a £1000 camera is a replacement for a £500 camera??

I think I'll stick with the K10D after all and spend the other £500 on decent glass; unless anyone maybe thinks the K20D is twice the camera the K10D is!

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I seem to remember the K10D was close to £1000 when it first came out. I believe the K20D still isn't available yet, but I've already seen it advertised at £899 with 18-55mm. Good things come to those who wait... Then the K30D will be announced! :)

Alternatively, there'll probably be some good end of line bargains for the K10D coming up.

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I do not know, but Pentax may run the K10D alongside the K20D for a while. I know that there has been talk about pricing internally (reported in AP) after the announcement of the Samsung price, which was much lower. So there is hope still of a reduction.

If I do upgrade it will be well into the latter part of this year, when the prices have started to fall. my K10D is perfectly adequate for my needs, but it would be useful to have the lower noise and higher pixel count and the live view. But these can wait for now.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

New models always start at a higher price. Old models have reduced prices and this helps them to be cleared from stock.

Supply and demand controls price. Manufacturers need to make money to continue development, so it's little surprise that initially their new products are more expensive.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes I think the K20D price will drop rather quickly especially as Samsung's equivilent model is approx £300 cheaper.

6. DekHog

DekHog Member

The Samsung is £300 cheaper? Jeez, I'm not £300 worth of a badge snob methinks... makes me doubt that the K20 will retail at what's being quoted at the moment - I might just hold off and see.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

At street prices, the difference is "only" £200. :eek:

8. Monobod

I really see no sensible reason for this price difference, except perhaps that Samsung can work on lower margins by spreading costs over a wider product range.

They are an enormous organisation.

9. johnriley1uk

Perhaps they are subsidising their price to gain quick increases in market share.

10. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I was a bit disappointed that it was a Samsung that I could afford rather than a Pentax, but I actually prefer the slightly more retro looks of the lens grips etc.

The total cost of my camera was less than the difference between the K20D and the GX20 and I get the Samsung 2 year warranty.

If I had a big heap of money I'd still choose the GX20.

11. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've been aware of Pentax for many years and so expected that I'd prefer their brand. But, now that cameras are mainly defined by their electronics, I am happy to buy Samsung.

If I'd bought a Pentax it would already be out of warranty whereas my Samsung still has one year to go and, also, the menus on the Samsung are more understandable.

In other words, if you want a Pentax, buy a Pentax. If you want value for money, buy a Samsung.

This might change if you are into upgrading because Samsung are, no doubt, less valued than Pentax cameras but, if you can afford to upgrade willy-nilly, brand names and trade-in values won't define your choice.

12. Monobod

This is such an emotive issue. I feel a desire to stay 'Pentax', but I also need to be sensible about expenditure. I really thought that the K10D would suit my needs for as long as it lasted. Now the K20D looks very tempting. I have started to get more interested in macro flower photography, so live view would be very very useful. I also print for competitions at A3, but need to crop images sometimes, so 14Mp would also help. Lower noise at higher ISO will also help the macro work....and so it goes on.

If I updated to the K20D or Samsung vesion, would I be content and would I finally stop looking for extras? I don't know what is up the manufacturer's sleeve, so I cannot say for sure, but I would hope so. I don't think I could justify the expense of a third camera upgrade.

13. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Thats a big only.

It puzzles me as to how Samsung can sell the `same` camera for that amount less, being as though, I assume that they get them from Pentax.

And how much do Pentax sell them to Samsung for in the first place???? :D

14. johnriley1uk

If we knew what things cost to make then we would probably be horrified. The costs of the development team, tooling up, manufacturing costs, sales team costs, packaging, CE marking, distribution, promotion and advertising, sponsorsips, warranty repairs, factory and office space and staff...it all goes on and on and all has to be factored in.

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

good one John,

but you missed out one that I am always to by the (various) sales reps and
    uppity-ups; and that is "the warranty". At least, this seems to be the case
    when it comes to USD $ versus CDN $ :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

16. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

Maybe someone at Samsung finally figured they can't.

The price listed on Amazon for the GX-20 body only has jumped from £621 last week to £789 now!

17. Casillero

Casillero Member

I am a bit mystified by the prices quoted by Amazon in the UK at the moment. While they were offering the sort of prices I would have expected until 1st March 2008, their prices increased very dramatically on the 4th of March. Today (5th March) the following are shown:

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce?url=search-alias%3Delectr...

Up to 1st of March, these were the prices they were showing:
    K20 Body only: £621.05
    K20 body and either the 18-55mm OR 50-200mm: £668.82
    K20 body plus both the 18-55mm and 50-200mm: £716.61

VERY STRANGE!

Has Samsung been pressurised by Pentax into higher prices, rather than Pentax lowering their prices to something similar to Samsung?

Has anyone in the group any information?

Terry :D

18. offertonhatter

offertonhatter Active Member

£621 is much better than £900.

Although I am not a badge snob, I have enough time explaining to narrow minded CaNikon users why I have a Pentax rather than their overpriced products (although the Nikon D3 seems to be a dream buy to me, but thats another story), so, having to explain a Samsung would be harder, especially as "sad" people compare them to microwaves - more fool them. Personally, I would have the K20D rather then the GX-20 due to already having the battery grip for the K10D that fits, and that it just feels better (whether that warrants a £300 difference is anyones guess....) Anyway finally I guided my parents to their first DSLR's which were....Samsung GX-1S models. Mainly because they had great IQ, but also, that they can use my lenses, and that they only cost £250 with kit lens.

So there you go.

19. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

I think you missunderstood Terry's point. £621 was much better than £900, but for some reason (hopefully a clerical error?) the prices have jumped.

GX-20 Body Only £622 -> £790
    Body + 18-55 £669 -> £950
    Body + 18-55 + 50-200 £717 -> £1000

The K20D can be had for less than those prices.

It's hard to imagine that Samsung would hike the prices under pressure from Pentax, especially after the widely reported official launch price announcement. It would just make them look idiots, better to limit availability for 6 months, take a hit on a few units, then hike the price (any one seen a GX-20 in the flesh yet? :) ).

If Samsung are serious about taking a bigger share of the market, that wouldn't be the way to go about it. - Mind you if they are serious about that goal, they urgently need an entry level DSLR like the K200D.

Anyway, all these things make me wonder if that's not just a cockup on Amazon. That said, I've seen one other 'etailer offering the body only for £799.

Until they arrive in store, I guess we'll just have to wait and see... Unless there's anyone who is really in the know out there?

Phil.

20. Monobod

The real way to bring down prices, is for ALL of us to NOT buy one yet.

Once they realise we will not tolerate hyped prices, they will come down. But it needs a radical movement to do this.

What say tou to a Peasant's Revolt?? :)