1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pre jump nerves

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Mark101, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I really want to trade my Canon 5 d mk iii and a clutch of prime lenses in for an XT4 kit. I find the Canon stuff so heavy these days that its become a real issue. My Panasonic GX8 is getting far more use these days. What is really of concern longer term is that ef lenses have ceased development so even if I hang on, a change is inevitable at some point. The price of the R5 is excessive in my opinion and the R6 just has 20 megapix, which doesn't even match my current EOS 5D iii.

If I change kit it means camera, 2 flash units, 6 lenses and canon accessories.

Think I may need a push in one direction or another because I can't make my mind up. Oh those first world problems.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Have only picked up the Pentax once since changing to Fuji. And realised it was heavy, bulky and uncomfortable to hold.

S

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself...
    Does my present set-up help or hinder me?
    What will I gain? more importantly
    What will I lose?
    Is there a financial benefit?
    When you answer those questions you will know...

Fen likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I've tried Fuji and have started to re-use my Pentax, I find it suits me better, though the x-e3 still gets carried nearly everywhere.
    I must be odd.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Anyone want to argue?

S

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I prefer using my Canon camera but run a small Fuji kit when I want something lighter. I wouldn’t dream of lugging a Canon kit-bag around. If I go out I’ll take one lens (rarely two). With fuji I tend to carry everything (10-24, 18-55, 55-200). Fuji flash is not well served, if you use a lot of flash do some fact-finding.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've not been able to get on with any Fuji EVF, they all set off my residual balance disorder. Further, although I think they look great, I don't think they're actually all that ergonomically well designed. So for when I don't want to carry or use my full frame Canon kit, I use Canon EOS M kit, because the finders don't give me any issues, a combination of the native EF-M lenses with some of the Sigmas and a Samyang fisheye covers off everything I need, and I can fit my EF lenses with a simple adaptor. That works for me, but as ever, YMMV.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As said it is important to get on with the view finder and ergonomics aren’t the same as Canon. I started with an X-E2 which doesn’t have a great viewfinder. At the time the AP review said it was one of the best seen, so what went before must have been absolutely dire. Now I am seemingly the only one on the plant who likes the X-H1. Launched as the top model above the X-T3, and £1700 or so, it was last Christmas selling new at £899. With a grip it is about the same physical size, but lighter, than my 1Div or 5Ds+grip. The IBIS sometimes gives an unreliable result but it handles quite well for me.

9. Mark101

Yes we have spoken about the potential of the M7 on the horizon, and it would be ideal, but nerves kick in again over rumours circulation regarding a future change of M series mount or Canon dropping the entire M camera concept .

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No, not even me:oops::p

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. Mark101

There must be some kind of way out of here,
    Said the joker to the thief.......

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Mark,

I jumped over to Fuji when the X-T2 came out (did keep my Nikon D800 and most of lenses) and haven't regretted it all.

The change in the weight and size made photography so much easier, rather than lugging around up to 15kg of camera gear I can have everything pretty much in one camera bag which I can easily carry over my shoulder.

If I'm out with just the camera and one lens, it's even possible to put bodycaps on the bits and put them in a coat pocket. Actually, I can fit the body and the 18-55 lens in my gortex jacket without taking them apart.

I still use the Nikon, but mostly for studio work. My go to camera for pretty much everything else is now the Fuji.

Scphoto and steveandthedogs like this.
  13. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Mark, unlike Fen I’ll probably go for the Nikon Z7 or a successor when I replace my D800, as I could use a converter with my F mount lenses rather than replacing all. But I’ve been keeping an eye on other systems in case saving weight gets even more important as I age. Now they’ve included IBIS in the XT4, I think Fuji offers by far the most impressive APS-C system. But are you keen on macro or ultra-wide angles? Fuji’s only 1:1 macro is 80mm (I found the 85mm APS-C Nikkor macro I bought when I was using a D90 rather short compared to the 105mm Nikkor FX macro I’ve bought since), yet Fuji’s macro weighs more than my 105mm Nikkor (and costs twice as much). I also noticed that the Fuji 8-16mm weights quite a bit more than the newly announced Nikkor Z 14-24mm (of course the Fuji goes slightly wider, and they also offer a much lighter and more affordable 10-24mm). I use my APS-C Sigma 8-16mm on the D800 when I can’t fit what I want at the 24mm end of a mid-range zoom; it’s lighter and much more affordable than the Fuji, although I’m sure the Fuji has far better optical quality, as well as its much larger aperture.

I decided that putting together the outfit I wanted from Fuji would save me very little weight, and I’d need to go to MFT if that was vital.

Best of luck for your choice; would it be worthwhile hiring some key Fuji kit briefly to see how you got on with it?

Chris

Fen likes this.
  14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

This. Totally.

I did the same with the Fuji and the Nikon Z (can't remember what model) and whilst I wanted to love the Nikon (as I could use all my lenses) I just couldn't get on with it. It didn't feel right in the hand, whereas the Fuji just seemed to suit me better.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm there with Fen all the way. I have a D800 and lenses, and while the kit served me well, the Fuji system felt so natural at first outing, that I find I rarely reach for the Nikon unless I'm using it in the confines of home. The Fuji XT-2 I have with various lenses - my favourite of which is the 23mm f1.4 - does everything I need a camera system to do. As advised above, try it out for a week on hire and see how it fits your style. Good luck.

Fen likes this.
  16. Mark101

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I'm going to sit down over the next couple of days with a pen and pad to list all the pros and cons, plus get some estimates on not only my 5D mk iii but the L glass also. I know one thing,and that's I can no longer work with the weight of the Canon gear with my damaged right arm, which is obvious from the use my Panasonic GX8 is getting. I sold one of my two 5D's the other year following illness and inability to pick up the odd bit of commercial work on the side, and it's obvious that I should have sold the lot at that time.

In my mind, while I still love Canon, the change in lens mount has been a contributing factor in my feelings of needing to jump, as indeed has been the excessive price of the new R5 and the low 20 megapix placed in the R6. Additionally, disturbing rumours about the Canon M system are putting me off holding out for the M7.

Following handing the XT3 in Cambridge last year, talking to a few owners of said gear at an event there, I'm really leaning towards the XT4.