1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pre autofocus and post autofocus cameras

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by John King, Oct 9, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

AT LAST! Someone who agrees. I must confess I have never used an auto-load manual camera but plenty of the others. I can see the reasoning why the auto-load came and that was when people found some cameras a 'bit tricky' to load, But the development of AF changed all that then the 'D' word came along.

Yes the emulsion side of other films is also different with slide film being a bit darker and more brown (depending on the make) and B&W usually being a bit on the grey side. Jeeeez! Not even a full generation and even the simple things are forgotten.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

we had a retail processing lab attached to the commercial studio in Madrid where I was chief photographer.
    At times we were all coopted to lend a hand during emergencies. All film processing was done in deep dip tanks. The regular staff were lightning fast, and put up with us because needs must.... Thankfully. I was usually too busy to lend a hand. It was not often that I had to process or print my own large format. Even my dark slides were loaded for me. Though I was involved in making the large 3 meter wide prints in meter wide strips. You can not afford to make mistakes when working at that size.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure AF has nothing to do with this.

Some MF cameras are designed with an intermediate roller & wind the film with emulsion outermost (certainly my Pentaxes all did). I think I've used other MF cameras that rolled the film the other way on the take up spool. I'm pretty sure this simpler system is found in my oldest cameras.

I don't remember ever owning an AF film camera or even one with auto load. Loading my Pentaxes has always been easy in part from the 'magic fingers' on the takeup spool IIRC.

I suspect the intermediate roller approach gives a flatter film at the expense of more complication. It's adoption might have been partly delayed due to patent issues, or simply due to the added cost.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some of the cameras with integral motor wind pulled the whole film onto the take-up spool when you closed the back then wound each frame back into the cassette after exposure. That was an excellent idea in my opinion.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Yeah but you couldn't squeeze the odd extra frame out of the film though

RogerMac likes this.