1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praktica BCA winding lever and mirror stuck

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by hujo, Apr 20, 2020.

1. hujo

hujo New Member

Hello !
    I acquired a Praktica BCA Electronic two days ago, and it worked fine
    I was able to take a couple of pictures
    Yesterday I tried to take a pic, and the shutter closed itself but didn't open again
    I couldn't see anything but black in the viewfinder
    The shutter release button is pressable, but it doesn't trigger anything
    I cannot move the winding lever
    I changed the battery, thinking it might be that, but apparently it's not.
    I removed the lens and I could see that the mirror is stuck up. I tried to move it using the lever on the left of the entry, but it just springs back up.
    Do you have any idea what it could be ???

Kind regards, any help will be very useful

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Is shutter control set to B ?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You need to be careful touching the mirror, best not to. The mirror should always return after the shutter fires. Possibly the shutter has jammed. The only case I can think of for the mirror to stay up is if the camera had a T setting for very long exposures. That takes two presses of the shutter release (start,stop). I’ve not seen a “modern” camera with one. You might be able to tell if the shutter is jammed by taking the film out and inspecting the shutter curtains. There are two and at the end of the exposure they should both be closed (and the mirror should spring back).

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Iirc the electronics on these were somewhat unreliable. Without wishing to cast any aspersions, you have fitted the battery correctly? It might be worth cleaning the terminals and contacts gently, just in case there is a poor connection there.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

For some reason, the shutter hasn't finished its cycle - when the shutter blades fully close after exposure, the mechanism releases the mirror. Unfortunately, it probably isn't worth trying to get this fixed.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that. If you like the camera the best option is to source another, at least you already have a new battery;).

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...but check the battery voltage first. It's rare but occasionally a new battery hasn't held its charge. I got caught that way once and nearly sent a camera back before it occurred to me that I should measure the battery's voltage!

Battery tester in use A65 DSC03465.JPG