1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Post Your Own: Ships, Boats, Rafts and Submarines

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

From the side view the paddle wheel is barely in the water, so you could be right.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That was my first thought. The paddles look rather insubstantial. I have just Googled it and it seems that it was a real steam paddle steamer built in 1892.. The paddles are now passive. She is now powered by a diesel engine driving one of those new fangled screw devices.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Comings and goings in Poole Harbour

phb1.jpg
    Ferry from Poole Quay to Brownsea Island, also does round the harbour trips

phb2.jpg
    The dredger takes another load out to sea for disposal, although I believe at times in the winter they dump sand on the Bournemouth shore to replace erosion.

phb3.jpg
    Brittany Ferries Poole to Cherbourg, Condor catamaran "high speed" ferry to Channel islands

phb4.jpg
    Condor dealing with local traffic

phb5.jpg
    Chain ferry across the harbour entrance saves about 18 miles road journey between Bouremouth and Swanage , takes buses as well as cars.

4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is water worthy or not

[​IMG]creek4 by Dan, on Flickr

Petrochemist and AndyTake2 like this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Petrochemist and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Not seen that one at Alresford before, even though it looks like it's not been touched in years.

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen it there before either, it was parked right at the bottom of the hill, it must have been taken there during high tide, but it has been tied up...

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ah, Wivenhoe! Never been, but this is rather lovely...

(as you were...)

Dan S likes this.
  9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Martin Newell has been lurking around here and Colchester for a long time. I played with him for a while and my current guitarist was the other member of Brotherhood of Lizards.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I rather like that.

S

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Things you didn't know you didn't know about people! My Mum is an avid reader of Martin's column in the EADT (which seems to combine grumpy old man with a fair amount of sense, not always the way).

Dan S likes this.
  12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Haha, grumpy old man sounds like him. I've not read his column but he is still around and pops up every now and then in unusual places. Colchester definitely had a thriving music and arts scene once upon a time.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Built in 1892 it was originally a side paddler, but converted more recently to diesel. So yes tourist trap, but not a fake.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

This one is a radio-controlled model, maybe 18 inches long.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ah, R/C = radio controlled. Should have guessed. I can only think I’ve seen them (real ones) in the Solent from the Cowes-Gurnard shoreline in the 1970’s.

16. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

USS Laffey
    [​IMG]
    In 1945, off Okinawa, the Laffey was attacked by numerous Japanese bombers, taking 4 bomb hits and six kamakazi hits, which killed 31 and wounded 70 more, about a third of the crew. Somehow, it kept afloat and fighting, shooting down numerous Japanese aircraft until U.S. fighters arrived and finished off the remaining attackers. The ship had to be towed to Okinawa for temporary repairs,after which it sailed to Tacoma, where it was pretty much rebuilt. "The destroyer that would not die."