1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Post Your Own: Ships, Boats, Rafts and Submarines

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Another boat at Wivenhoe

[​IMG]wiv boat by Dan, on Flickr

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

More likely to be coal-powered?
    Steam will be the means of transmission of the power the power generated by burning the coal from the boiler to the cylinder(s) of the engine.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

IMGP2174A 800.jpg

This is one of my favourite pictures taken in Venice.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

steveandthedogs and Dan S like this.
  5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

1off098.jpg

Lynn

6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

8. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Mine and my partner's little narrowboat 'Henrietta' on the River Avon at Evesham last Saturday evening...

[​IMG]
    Opp Rowing Club
    by Tim Heathfield, on Flickr

dream_police and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Would have loved a narrow boat, but the nearest canal is 60 miles away.

Henrietta looks gorgeous.

S

10. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment Steve. Built in 1976, but with a new engine and refit in 2005. The interior is tired and needs replacing but the hull seems sound enough and the engine is good. We bought the boat last year and have slowly been getting things done, broken down a few times though and we’ve had a few scrapes and 'near misses' as well as some good fun out on the river.

11. Petrochemist

60 miles in nothing. My dad kept his boat in Holland for quite a few years. A ferry trip plus at least 100 mile driving needed to get there, yet it still worked out cheaper than the local marina if only visiting half a dozen times a year!

12. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

[​IMG]
    Fireboats, Seattle

13. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

[​IMG]
    R/C racer

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen a powerboat in absolutely ages. I guess they need certain waters to operate “safely” in, though it never seemed very safe to me.

15. Petrochemist

They had ONE round of the offshore power boats just off the coast here ten years ago. Sadly a competitor died in that, so the fantastic photo opportunity was never repeated.
    IIRC this shot through my telescope (effectively a 1000mm f/16 when zoomed all the way out) was one of the main class on the way out.
    [​IMG]just missed! by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I could only see the plume of spray as the crossed the finish (several miles offshore).

The lesser categories raced only a mile or so off so I've got more reasonable shots of them:
    [​IMG]Offshore Powerboat racing by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I think the fatality was from a similar class, but my kids had dragged me back home before it happened, and I only got to hear of it later. As always it seems the unlucky man was one of the more popular racers.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Petrochemist likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

Madog-2.jpg
    RV Prince Madog, topsail schooner and something odd about two small craft.

S

19. steveandthedogs

floating-backwards.jpg

Absolutely windless evening on the straits. He actually was going backwards with the ebb tide.

S

20. steveandthedogs

Learning likes this.