1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your own - experimental & quirky shots.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Petrochemist, Aug 24, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I still do the cooking!

Sarah is at the market again today(she was there yesterday too) so I will be preparing dinner for us. Got my COVID test tomorrow, should pass!

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I like those Nige :)

dream_police likes this.
  3. dream_police

As a discussion point of view, I am not sure where I stand with these photo's. I was watching a film on Amazon last night and there was a part, when paused, looked like it would have been a great photo, the sort you wish you had seen and photographed. This is part of that scene, albeit, altered massively. First off, I thought it was wrong, photographing someone elses work. Then I thought, we do it all of the time, be it advertising boards, art in a gallery, on our walls, graffiti or what ever. A lot of the time we try to make it our own, not just a straight record, be it incorporating someone else in it, or changing it in some other way, which I clearly have here.
    It then got me looking at it from a copyright point of view. What a mine field that is. It is a grey area, differs between here and the US, but I believe what I have done here is OK (from a copyright POV).

So, copyright aside, is taking a photo of an image from TV etc any different to doing something on the street? It certainly feels different but probably isn't.

And now you know what it is (if you didn't already) do you like it any less because of that?

Catriona likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

00028ces.jpg

Not my original images. I paused a DVD to visit the loo and, when I returned, realised had paused on a frame change, which gave an interesting result.

Raises the possibility of taking videos (of contrasting subjects?) and spending hours pausing on frame changes (or stepping through relevant areas frame by frame) looking for 'interesting' results.

There's probably someone out there already doing it...

ETA: in reply to Nige, it's probably breach of copyright, though in the case of my example here, may be acceptable as an example of the possibilities...

Paul M and Catriona like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've done it like you on an experimental basis to have something to play with. I can see you point on borrowed art on the street - and lets face it even architecture is someone else's creation. Most of the time we breach copyright rules many times without thought. Photos of CDs, LP covers, book covers, posters, art on walls whether framed or not. Our appreciation is usually what drives it, or even just to grab some image to play with. :)

6. dream_police

I agree. With film though, whether it is linked in with thoughts of piracy etc, it seems more unacceptable, although quite clearly different to copying a film. Fair usage is a term that seems to be used a fair bit, certainly in these days of internet forums/blogs where meme's and parody's are the norm.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I don't think buildings are/can be copyrighted, though parts of them can, I think. IIRC the Eiffel Tower as a construction is not copyrighted, but light displays on it are. But that might just be French law.

Fair usage has been around a lot longer than the internet - things like quotes for reviews, Mad magazine relied on it for parodies as did Weird Al Yankovic.

8. dream_police

It has certainly come to the forefront in recent years because of the amount of memes that are out there. IIRC they have been looking at the copyright laws and how it affects things such as that, which although have been around for a long time, they are everywhere now.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It's getting on for twenty years ago now but I seem to recall that that french decided to copyright architecture, or at least the more modern. I recall walking around the new National Library area with a camera and hoping no officials would notice me taking snaps! I think that it's a case 'It ain't what you snap , it's what you do with it!'

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

France has different rules, the “performance” of the night time light show on Tour d’Eiffel has been mentioned already.

11. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I always liked this one.
    [​IMG]

EightBitTony, Dan S and Petrochemist like this.
  12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Paul M, Dan S, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Dan S likes this.
  14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

15. Trannifan

It isn't/wasn't the Eifel lightshow. I was in Paris July 2003 and the whole subject had been discussed and analysed in depth during the preceding months in AP. I think that the copyright rule for architecture was introduced in 2002.

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete and Dan

17. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Given three Jessops E6 kits and a load of Film by Sons of my Deceased Great Friend of over 60 years-- he had never USED the kits -- some dated 1995 and latest 2002 ! I tried a roll of his 1992 dated Fuji Velvia but it came out BLANK -- the part 2 Colour Developer in each kit was Dark Purple -- so tried the !st developer giving 7 mins and MY C41 Colour Developer well-used, giving 9 mins and the kit 'Bleach-Fix . Transparencies had a Bleach 'Stain; even after a second Bleach-Fix @ 100oF . I used my 1984 Mamiya C220
    E6 Process Test 01.jpg E6 Process Test 02.jpg E6 Process Test 03.jpg E6 Process Test 04.jpg

18. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Nice results Pete, I always thought best before dates needed to be treated with a pinch of salt :)
    Shame about the left edge, do you know was this from slightly too little chemical or a minor light leak?

19. Trannifan

b&w003011.jpg
    Breton dancing..........................

alfbranch and Petrochemist like this.
  20. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

IMG_0426w.jpg

Brick Lane, London. iPhone
    IMG_1247w.jpg

London Underground. iPhone

Catriona likes this.