1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Own: Concerts, Music Performances, Gigs

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 23, 2021.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

dream_police likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

dream_police, Dan S and Zak52 like this.
  3. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Elton John 2016, Canon G16

dream_police, Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  4. EightBitTony

I went to watch my father in law in his covers band (he's 72, played drums his whole life) last Sunday, mostly took video on the EOS M50, but took one or two shots with the 6D, and proved I'm out of practice. Not a very glamorous stage (back of a truck in a pub carpark) so won't post any, but it reminded me you need to keep your eye and hand in on different genres of photography, not just photography in general.

zx9r likes this.
  5. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

It’s a difficult genre, especially when you’re not allowed to take kit that looks vaguely professional. I have taken hundreds of gig shots but consider myself lucky if I get 2-3 decent ones per gig. I try my best to reflect the lighting and atmosphere but with very limited success. Won’t stop me trying though!

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

If I could nail anything approaching these sorts of standards I'd be over the moon...............:)

Dan S likes this.
  7. EightBitTony

Well, I appreciate the comment, and if any of us posting images in these threads inspires someone else to try, improve or pick a subject they've not shot before, then starting these threads has served its purpose!

I'm annoyed by the placement of the light so close to her head. I have shots with it placed better, but her expression is worse. The takeaway? I should have thought more about that light while taking the shots, but I didn't, I was only thinking about her and the band. That's the difference between luckily getting a shot you like and putting everything in place to maximise your chances of capturing the subject in an excellent shot.

I'm still proud of the shot (I overcame lots of other challenges I'd not experienced before to get those shots and I learned a huge amount), but I'll learn from it.

8. EightBitTony

Luckily, the Hockley Hustle event hands out 'photographer' badges to people who apply and agree to provide shots for their social media use, so a) you get into the venues free and b) no one argues when you drag out a 3kg piece of gear. It does mean though that there's usually as many photographers as punters in some of the smaller venues!

Zak52 likes this.
  9. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I meant to pose all of those amazing shots..........

10. EightBitTony

I appreciate it.

11. ogofmole

ogofmole Well-Known Member

I get out about once a week to listen to live music, our little town is full of it most nights.

815_0823bw.jpg

815_6540bw.jpg

815_6467bw.jpg

zx9r, EightBitTony and dream_police like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. dream_police

OMD from 2018. Coincidentally they were the last band I saw in 2019 in Düsseldorf,but I don’t think I took any photos at that gig.

[​IMG]OMD by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]OMD3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

zx9r and EightBitTony like this.
  14. dream_police

I used to take a camera to gigs, including a zoom, many moons ago, but nowadays it is invariably just my iPhone that I have, so unless I am really close, it is only just atmospheric type shots, and are often pretty poor. Having said that, the ones of Bears Den above are phone shots and are cropped a fair bit too.

I sometimes try my luck with a MFT camera (but got refused entry with it seeing Coldplay in the Olympiastadion Munich- but that was not long after the attack at the stadium in Manchester so they were doing thorough searches).

[​IMG]Telekon by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]telekon2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]telekon1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]In the spotlight by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]the pleasure principle by Nigel G, on Flickr

EightBitTony and zx9r like this.
  15. dream_police

The success rate (for me anyway) is rubbish. I am not one of those that has my camera/phone out all of the time either. I just grab a load of shots at certain points and hope for the best and then often a fair bit of PP required to make them look acceptable. I wish that I had local pubs that play live music but alas not, so I am generally just at biggish venues seeing bands that I like. I really hate going to stadiums though. Much prefer smaller club/Academy type of venues.

This one, which was the best of 10, is still crap but it is a personal record/memory shot. Cheap plug, the singer, Alex, who is dressed as a matador for some reason, is the singer of Sportsteam, (who are doing rather well.) is a family friend. We have known him since he was 4 or so. We went to see them play at the Electric Ballroom, Camden with his parents and other friends. We were by far the oldest in there!

[​IMG]Sportsteam by Nigel G, on Flickr

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. EightBitTony

Music isn't my thing, so any gig shots I get are part of either outdoor events I'm at for other reasons, or indoor events I'm only going to, to do photography (or, seeing friends and family play live, in the event of my 72 year drumming father-in-law)!

Live music events are, without doubt, the hardest thing I've ever shot, indoors or out. Other things have more pressure, but just the lighting situation, general positioning and sheer number of microphone stands make gig photography very hard.

17. dream_police

Isn’t your wife musical too? I seem to recall you mentioning it

18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Folk festivals, Appalachian style dancing
    Spank the planks
    stp1.jpg
    stp2.jpg
    STP apprentices?
    stpapps.jpg

EightBitTony likes this.