1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Own: Black & White

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Prunes were our main dessert as a child, and I still love them! and figs fresh from the tree are the best.
    Pile driving at sea? Doesn't the boat move?

Catriona likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That close in I doubt they’d need a boat but a basic pile driver just uses gravity. It lifts a weight and drops it. As long as the support platform doesn’t move it matters not if it is fixed or floating.

Edit: for a pier I expect they just work outwards.

Dan S likes this.
  3. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

The platform is anchored.

Catriona likes this.
  4. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I was in a rush when I last replied. Most offshore piling is done via a jackup barge; a barge with piles at the corners that are dropped to the sea bed then jacked to raise the barge above the surface to provide a working platform.

Dan S likes this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

When you say it, it seems so obvious, but I had never worked that out. Thanks :)

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

One I took in Berlin a few years ago. Had already converted it to B&W and posted on this forum a couple of years ago. Just redone it slightly now.

[​IMG]concentration 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

7. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I have been. having problems getting the file small enough to post, but here goes......

8. PeteRob

It certainly went

Catriona likes this.
  9. PeteRob

I'm giving up trying to find a colour file that meaningfully converts. I'm hoping that the new negative/photo scanner I've just ordered can do stuff with genuine B&W material.

In particular I am hoping that I can find the negative for this - a straight scan on a document scanner of something I printed decades ago - and get some detail from it. There was a sharp bend into a ford about 200 m ahead of this madman doing 64 mph with the bonnet up. it is pouring with rain and that is an unsurfaced road.

cars.jpg

spinno likes this.
  10. cliveva

16mb stil will not load?

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If it was 1.6mb it still would not load. Get it to no more than 500kb to load to a thread.

12. PeteRob

Resize to 800 pixels on long side as per forum guidance, that’ll be about 300 kb , then it will load

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

They drive like that everyday in some parts of Nottingham...allegedly:rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

trio.jpg

walk-mono.jpg

Llandudno

S

Catriona likes this.
  15. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

16. cliveva

wreck for ap.jpg
    That was a palaver, should it be cropped ?

Catriona likes this.
  17. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

You should post it appraisal if you want critique

18. PeteRob

As Alf says, the convention is that posts in Exhibition should not be critiqued. I think by asking the question you’ve already identified the answer! Now you have figured out how to resize to 800 px and upload, the palaver should be gone!

19. cliveva

Just felt I needed to comment, sorry.

20. PeteRob

No need to apologise. The “ban” on critique is to prevent upset as folk can get really upset if they put up a picture and it gets criticised. If you put this in appraisals it would get comments on the framing, the exposure, the focus.