1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portus Digital

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by andysweb, Jun 26, 2014.

1. andysweb

andysweb Member

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread or not but here goes anyway.

A friend has recommended Portus Digital (http://www.portusdigital.com) to buy camera items from. I'm presuming form the prices that the items may be import goods but they do offer a standard 2 year warranty which seems fair enough. Just wondering has anyone else used them to buy stuff in the past and if so have you had good or bad experiences?

Many Thanks

2. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

There see to be some happy customers out there. I haven't used tem but those prices are about 20% below current street price which suggests they are grey imports and you have not paid VAT - I they are anything like Digital Rev they will refund VAT if you are charged for it.

I can't find a UK address for them which leads me to presume they are based in Hong Kong or somewhere. You could e-mail them ask if they have a registered UK address, if VAT is paid and if you get VAT receipt.
    If they are outside UK, if you need repairs you may need to send it to HK, USA or wherever they are based.
    I am not saying they are bad, or conmen but I would not use them unless I had answers to these questions

3. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Terms and Conditions:

4. mikeh201355

Your point being...?

Nowhere does that say that VAT is paid.There are several of these outfits that don't pay VAT (which is why they are so much cheaper )and rely on Customs not checking the package. If customs do check, the company happily pays because the times they don't get caught they still make a profit.

If you have no VAT receipt and Customs stop you coming into the country and see the camera is an import they can hammer your for VAT and duty.Note that the customer is the importer (again suggesting that the do not have UK presence) so the customer has all the legal and tax liabilities.

Basically, by buying from this company my interpretation is that the customer is participating in VAT fraud.

5. Scphoto

The point is you are the importer - hence liability for unpaid Tax/Duty - not that many people read that far they just see discount price must buy sod UK jobs / tax etc then they go on and moan about Vodafone and Starbucks not paying corporation tax - Not sure if that's irony or not - I'll have to check with Alanis Morrisette!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

And moan about there not being a convenient local camera shop where they can go to handle cameras, have their sensor cleaned, or get help and advice.

7. OllieDefig

OllieDefig Well-Known Member

Well if a saving of £430.00 is worth it THEN whose the Mug for NOT using them(against the price of a Canon D7 body compared to Wex Photographic) as it is a U.K company any import duties/customs tax has been and vat has been paid...Many refurnished cameras are sold at prices which you can buy new cameras ,and as for personal service and needing someone to talk to...then you`re better off and cheaper talking to the local lollipop lady...More camera shops will close down because people have found it far cheaper on the internet...regards Olliedefig

8. Scphoto

If VAT has been paid why is the number missing from the website?

If you think saving £430 includes VAT and Duty then sadly you are a mug.

I had an online chat with Portus last month….

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  9. OllieDefig

Aw..The government must be a charity case then,thats why the Red Cross are contributing in sending food parcels to the impoverished,a fact that this is only time that its happened since the 2nd world war...Well Stephen,if you want to pay more feel free to be fleeced..Regards Olliedefig

10. OllieDefig

Aw..The government must be a charity case then,thats why the Red Cross are contributing in sending food parcels to the impoverished,a fact that this is only time that its happened since the 2nd world war...Well Stephen,if you want to pay more feel free to be fleeced..Regards Olliedefig

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Personal imports from ex-EU should pay VAT + 4.2%

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/9006590000?country=&day=28&month=6&year=2014

[h=3]Goods ordered online from outside the EU[/h]If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty and Import VAT on top of the purchase price if the goods are above a certain value - though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty payable is £9 or less.
    Some Internet sellers outside the EU have arrangements with the UK whereby you pay them the VAT that's due on the goods you're ordering. They then pay the VAT to their postal authority - which in turn pays it to HM Revenue & Customs. Note that these sellers must be authorised to do this. They'll have a special number that will be on the Customs Declaration. The declaration should also carry a message saying 'Import VAT pre-paid'. When this arrangement is used you won't be charged any import VAT or a Royal Mail handling fee when you get your parcel. Note that if the above procedures aren't followed properly you could end up losing the goods.

unquote

12. mikeh201355

Do you have any evidence of that because I can't find their address. Some companies like this have an address to return faulty goods under warranty but that does not make it a UK company address.

13. mikeh201355

Or think of it another way: the red cross is sending food parcels because people are avoiding VAT and tax buying from companies like this which reduces money available for welfare.

14. OllieDefig

You DON`T look very hard....Portus Digital, 5 West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN.

I know it is Welsh,maybe Milliband will set up border posts there?As for your stupidity in thinking that the Red Cross exists due to certain people and companies not paying tax and VAT,the Government has wasted Billions and Billions,and the impoverished don`t even register on its conscience...regards Olliedefig

15. OllieDefig

ERM...I haven`t bought goods outside the EU..Portus Digital, 5 West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN....regards Ollie

16. OllieDefig

Some ships sail and fish under a flag of convienience,do you care where your tin of sarnies come from,and in the meantime tons and tons of fish are returned to the sea to rot because some numpties have decided upon a certain quota,which the poor fishermen have to abide by...If you want to delve and find if the company is British you will have to contact company House..It will cost you...
    Regards Olliedefig

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The address appears to be a small house next to an insurance company office, very confidence inspiring.

18. Scphoto

So if they trade in the UK where is the VAT number on the site?

Judging from what they sell they are well over the VAT threshold so if your not getting a VAT receipt then it ain't being collected.

Remember their terms 'you are acting as an importer' hence you are liable for unpaid VAT / Duty

Not that you care it seems, from your 'Why doesn't Canon sponsor me' thread you seem to have an air of entitlement that excludes you from paying for anything.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The usual model for these companies is that in placing an order you declare that you are the personal importer of the goods i.e. they are purchased abroad on your behalf and you assume responsibility for the payment of all taxes. If the company is acting faithfully as your agent there should be paperwork to show that VAT and customs duty was paid when the goods came through customs. As above this should be 24.2% of the sterling price of the goods at their point of sale.

20. OllieDefig

I couldn't give a monkeys if it was a chemical toilet,so long as they were prepared to give a 2 year warranty and save me a whopping £430 ... Which speaks volumes...Remember Tempo Saga....such nice offices...