1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Portraiture

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Allan and his raison d'etre, Independence for Scotland. Dreams shattered.

ap bw allan.jpg

2. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I have always enjoyed portraiture and spent a number of years, a while ago, shooting images for a local magazine of local celebrities, upcoming bands and certainly would suggest to anyone starting out in this genre that finding willing participants is a much better starting point than trying to coerce unwilling family members.
    I think someone already said collaboration is really important in getting the best from your sitter(s) unless of course you are paying a model in which case you are in charge. I would say the most important thing you can do is research lots of pose ideas from magazines, books especially those on old masters are full of great poses to be borrowed. Unless your sitter is very experienced they will be looking to you for direction. Once the shoot has started I would suggest avoiding keep stopping to look at/show the sitter the images on the camera as this will disrupt the rhythm of the shoot. The only time it is worth doing this is if the session is not going well so you can sit down and discuss and illustrate the issues.
    I would also suggest if possible to avoid getting to technical with lighting etc initially, all the photos below were taken using a hot shoe mounted Speedlite and the camera set on program, or AV, meaning all I had to do was keep a conversation going with the people involved, concentrate on the composition and realising my pre-shoot ideas. As you get more confident with your sitters so you can get more technical with the lighting (although I never did). As already said there are lots of rules but really try not to get to bogged down in them - all the shots below where published in various places and don't really follow perceived wisdom.

_MG_3786w.jpg
    This was a local band who were doing very well - taken in 2007 it predates iPhone filters etc so the effect was created in PS, think I probably added some lens flare as well. It was used a lot at the time by listing websites and was taken on a Canon 5d with a Speedlite probably set to -1 stop fill.

_MG_4072_fw.jpg

Simon Day shot in the FIFO, Hastings around the same time taken on a Canon 5d with bounced flash from a Speedlite. He was being interviewed straight after and I guess already in character all I had to do was press the shutter.

_MG_5257cw.jpg
    A collaborative shoot with the band Crystal Castles who were at the time the band of the moment. I spent an afternoon with them and we took some images based on their lo-fi image. This is on camera flash fired directly at the subject. They had a shoot with a well know music photographer two days later but chose this image for the cover of their single Vanished.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On reflection, I'm dubious about dividing photography into "genres". Describing a picture as a portrait or street or a candid seems to me to be very artificial. A picture of a person can be all of these simultaneously or possibly none of them. So: when is a portrait not a portrait?

Allan with Spotmatic.jpg

Austrian paraglider explaining her sport on mountainside above Seefeld D200 B7380.JPG

Busker with guitar Nottingham.jpg

Bearded young man with glasses pleased expression HX90 00194.JPG

Austrian police officer in the Zillertal S10 NIK_1082.jpg

RovingMike and Dan S like this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

A portrait is a portrait. A big mountain is a landscape, not a portrait. Photography is not divided into genres, it is identified as belonging to one or more genres, or many.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Another one from the studio that I tried a slightly different treatment with

[​IMG]Baz by Dan, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Think I'd have lost the crumpled stuff behind him.

7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Crumpled stuff!? That's his favourite coat :D
    Yes, good point Mike, it did bother me but not until I looked at the shot after it was taken.

8. Catriona

I disagree. It's a natuural portrait and it is him (along with visible vices). He looks a nice bloke! :) I like the treatment.

9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Kate.
    Hes a smashing guy, good player too. :)
    I tried playing with the colours in photoshop, something I hadn't done before, I'm not very familiar with PS but I'm finding some things that I can just about get my brain around. :)

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Just because it's the 28th September and memories flood back. Eight years ago now. I am still surprised to still be around.

ap memories david.jpg
    By the way, this was for me. You needn't say anything. Just memories.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just memories or not, a lovely photo of him.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

That really is a lovely photo Kate :)

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Thank you both.

14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I watched the episode you mentioned, plus quite a few others. Thanks for the recommendation, it's an excellent series and the photographer one was very good indeed. :)

Paul M likes this.