1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Portraiture

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 9, 2020.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I like 1 and 4 very much.

Dan S and AdrianSadlier like this.
  2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I haven't got that much in the house that I can use as a backdrop, not sure whether a plain darker background might be better?

3. RovingMike

Probably, or white. But it works well in 1 for me.

Dan S likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No. The first one works well with the purples continuing between your wife? and the backdrop.

Dan S likes this.
  5. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I took some more photos of Merryn in the garden today.

[​IMG]

Merryn by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

She needed an excuse to "practice" her makeup and I needed some portrait practice too!

Dan S likes this.
  6. RovingMike

Think it's lovely. Levels are a bit low, did you intend that?

I don't know how it affects the aspect ratio and / or eye position, but I'd probably try it with all the necklace in. Just seems to be a chance to echo rings in her nose and shape of the glasses.

Some tiny dust spots on the glasses could come out.

7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian.
    I think that's great, I like that the reflection in the glasses are the only hint that it is outside.
    Can I ask what the weather was doing, hazy, sunny? And whereabouts she was positioned, if you don't mind sharing that is.
    Thanks

8. AdrianSadlier

Thanks RM. I think it would but she is very self conscious so I have to grab what I can, quickly. As she gets more used to having a camera on her, and liking the results,she will let me take more and spend more time on it.

The sun was in/out of a cloud and the trees were throwing dappled light on her face. So we went under the trees and used a gold reflector to throw some light on her face.

Dan S likes this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

There are pale patches above the left eyebrow as we look (towards the hair line) that I find very distracting and quite odd. Don't know if it's a skin blemish a make up fault or some other issue. If it were mine I'd want them gone.

Sorry
    MickLL

Ah - just read your post above - maybe it's dappled light. I'd still want it gone!!

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  10. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Becky W..jpg

Catriona likes this.
  11. Skyehammer

not a portrait as such , more of a snap of my Daughter , Becky on her Wedding Day .

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What portrait skin smoothing did you use? I find it a wee bit plastic/androidish. She's a lovely girl and I'm sure she doesn't need adjusting.

13. Catriona

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2020-07-06_11_54_31.jpg Snap of our new boss for our newsletter.

Catriona likes this.
  15. AdrianSadlier

All I did was reduce the clarity in LR. Her skin is smooth anyway and she had on a lot of make-up. I thinks the change in tones is more a reslt of dappled light than anything else.

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. Skyehammer

Thank you , Catriona , very kind of you - she asked me to take a few photographs of the wedding as there wasn't enough money for an official wedding photographer after paying for the venue , food & drink etc - It was one of those lucky shots if I'm being truthful - I'm never going to pretend to be something I'm not with my old D7000 and battered 16-85mm - it's all about getting out and having a bit of fun for me , I'm never going to reach the high standards of a lot of you on here - as Clint Eastwood once said ' A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations ' . :)

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  17. Catriona

Don't put yourself down. Whatever the camera, it's seeing the shot that matters - always.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. Catriona

ap blunt waiting.jpg

19. RovingMike

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

RovingMike likes this.