1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portraiture

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I didn't realise you know Pete Townshend.

RovingMike likes this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well what you need for 'portraits' as opposed to capturing the action will potentially be quite different. If someone's sitting for a portrait they're generally pretty static so you can control what's going on. Try to do a bit of scouting for a good location to take them to - suss out the light before you start shooitng. Also, I've never been in a recording studio so don't know for sure, but there will probably be bits of kit and textures and surfaces that 'say' recording studio - see how you can use them as backgrounds or leading lines or to make shapes to put people into at the same time as adding context.

For more candid, documentary stuff, I'd stick my camera on aperture priority and just have fun!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    Dan S likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nah, it's Sonny Bono.

4. RovingMike

Actually, what I'm finding is, it is nice to find locations and poses that reflect what you want to portray about the person, but you can actually do it all in a head and shoulders and possibly better if you work with them and see how they react. Even the expressionless ones are saying something about themselves. Deciding where and how you want them in advance can be quite preemptive and inject you and your attitudes into the thing.

Dan S and Geren like this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Actually, thinking about it I did come up with this the other weekend - eventually SWMBO came back from shopping, focussed, and pressed the shutter button as my old-fashioned lenses and I weren't agreeing over what was going to be in focus!

What you can't see is that I am kneeling on the floor because my tripod has a dodgy leg (matches my knees...) with a towel over a bookcase for a backdrop (another reason for kneeling, short bookcase!). It's also probably a bit over-sharpened as I've sent elsewhere first before resizing it for here. You may see it again very soon, I hope... headshot.jpg
    ( bugger me, that is one bent hooter!)

Dan S likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

This was a grab shot in Glasgow of a homeless man I got into conversation with. He asked me to take his picture, which I did, before my hubby dragged me away.
    Gordon's Glasgow b ap fave.jpg

dream_police, EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do agree with you, but if someone is not that confident in their ability, it can be helpful to have a space as a starting point. Sometimes it can take time to draw a person out and if Dan is working in a studio setting where musicians are trying to work they might not have that time even if he does.

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I have to use my polished shield to look at her.

I just realised that, following Kate's comments about TW on another thread, the shot of Darcey with the fish fingers was the original one she had suggested for TW. I shot it on my 6MP Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

That makes me think of "A Christmas Carol" for some reason. He has a very haunted, ghostly look to him.

Catriona likes this.
  10. RovingMike

Nice, but looks a bit squinty as if you were anticipating the flash. Need someone talking to you and getting reactions.

I think most hooters point one way or another.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thank you. He had been homeless for 30 days, he told me, though it looked longer. I just found his expression so haunting and the attempt to be smart in that ill-fitting jacket just tugged at my heart. I did give him money at the end and he was very gracious.

Geren and beatnik69 like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I've been playing about today. Was thinking about the Corona Virus and the shortage of masks. I struggled trying to get the lighting right, getting all sorts of reflections in the glass either from my lighting or from windows etc. The one with the catch light in the eyes (The first image) is ruined by the first light I used. Then used a light in a reflector which still had it's problems (This isn't the sort of thing that I do, but happened to get a selection of lights, back cloths and a reflector cheap in a charity shop). It was also made harder due to the fact that they are self portraits, I was using my iphone as a remote, checking the photo on the desktop, try again etc until I got fed up!

So here are a few and for no other than I was messing around with time to kill.

[​IMG]Respirator 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]respirator 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]respirator 3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Geren, Catriona and RovingMike like this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I actually love the first one, the light is obvious but doesn't uspet me, but the third one is perfect.

It's a given I take it that you were otherwise nude?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    dream_police likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

In fact, if the third one doesn't become an album cover or a book cover for a dystopian nightmare novel, then you were robbed. You should definitley upload to a stock agency site.

dream_police and RovingMike like this.
  15. RovingMike

16. dream_police

Luckily no I wasn't nude. Stockings and suspenders and a little silk top was my dress code.

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  17. dream_police

Thank you. I've tidied it up a bit actually. Kept some imperfections but cleaned the eye up a bit.

[​IMG]respirator 3a by Nigel G, on Flickr

18. gray1720

I was waiting for the self timer as I'd forgotten to turn it off from my solo efforts, and thought I could stop giving destructions! No flash, but a south-facing room with diffuse light (sun still well to the East) - I always squint in sunlight... and get funny round garlic... hmmm...

I have a nasty feeling that my bent hooter is the result of years of teenage breathing trouble. See the gear grinding thread for what it makes me sound like.

19. RovingMike

Yes looks a bit quizzical. I find it impossible to pose nicely with the timer on.

Need to move further away from the background too.

20. gray1720

To be honest, Mike, it wasn't really an effort at a serious portrait, but a headshot that I had quite short notice of the need for - in the circumstances I think it turned out rather well, but you've given me some good pointers for me to have a go at doing something more serious in the near future. I think I might be able to channel SWMBO's hatred of being photographed into something creative...

I think "WTF?" might be my default expression these days.