1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Portraiture

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Meet-The-Team-013.jpg

Marc.jpg

Sistersa.jpg

Along the same lines as the Still Life thread, I started this one with a view to sharing portrait work, getting ideas, discussion, inspiration, whatever you like. I'm attaching a few different portraits that I've made, including a corporate staff shot, a portrait for an artist's website and one of two of my three children...just as different examples of the kind of thing I find myself doing. We have a number of well established wedding and family/newborn photographers local to me so I have never tried to put myself into competition with them.

I live in a town with what feels like an inordinate number of photographers locally who do weddings and family/baby portraiture of the kind that I'm sure we're all familiar with. It's not really my thing and I didn't see the point in trying to compete with established photographers so I tend to do product photography for the business side of things and any portraiture I do is either commissioned by the people I do product for or it's my own personal stuff which tends to be more environmental or about capturing character rather than making a flattering shot.

cathryn20, Dan S and RovingMike like this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Once again, something I don't really get - partly dodgy people skills and partly that I've never had the time to sit down and actually work it out (plus you need someone else to sit down at the same time!). I do take the odd one, though - I find the Black Mamba is surprisingly inconspicuous... or it might be the distance I can be away from people! This is about the last one - it's not perfect - I did a lot of buggering with the background before it went in the club's annual photobook, and there's a distinct shortage of catchlight, but I think it catches a bit of the character. Actually, I went back to the photobook, and picked out another one I liked (quality flaws notwithstanding!). But these aren't formal portraits in the sense that Geren, I suspect, started out meaning.

Untitled-1.jpg

Doing this sort of thing with an 85mm scares the manure out of me!

upload_2020-2-9_19-57-59.png

Attached Files:

Dan S, Geren and Catriona like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Different styles but I tried to be appropriate for the subject and reflect their personalities.

portrait anne lise.jpg
    My colourful friend. Always approachable. Always colourful and sits at her doorway to greet us all.

ap portrait andrea.jpg

My friend and enigma. In the zone. This friend does marvellous photography using old cameras, processing and printing. Happy to say I have three of her works.

ap michelle.jpg

My old neighbour when I lived elsewhere. A wonderful mother and a fantastically fit person who runs and runs...

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not done many recently that I could call considered portraits. Did my son for his website other day, but they were photo booth standard. Got this guy near Brick Lane:

[​IMG]_8180739mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

And this one was more of a grab in Petticoat Lane, but I like it:

[​IMG]Gentleman in the Market 43 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

cathryn20, Dan S, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Catriona, your "friend and enigma" looks as though she's been on the Julia Margaret Cameron juice!

cathryn20 and Catriona like this.
  6. RovingMike

Do agree. I hate all the faffing when friends and relations ask you to take their photo. Then I have to go through taking out lines and blemishes until it represents nothing at all.

I always do candids at family things, so will look a few out. They never make my flickr.

7. Catriona

That makes me happy. It was atrocious lighting in the hall where the classes were going on. I had to switch my brain to a different made and went for movement when taking her picture. I did manage to get others, as I pranced around the class.

Geren likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I hear you, but I find the camera to be a great ice breaker. Or something to hide behind! I forced myself to make portraits of our First Year Class at art school for a project and because I was experiementing with the idea of portraiture I took pictures that I had set up and decided how things were going to be, I took candids and window lit shots and studio set ups...and then I took photographs based on a collaboration with the subject, where they had quite a lot of input into how they wanted to be portrayed. It turned out they were my favourites, mainly I think because I took away the memory of the exchanges we had and not just a picture of a person.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I seem to be surrounded by people who think I'm going to steal their soul if I point a camera at them, so what little portraiture I do is of animals.

10155399_10152065711011669_3999520658507252517_n.jpg

20293046_10154665494716669_7240603966156917748_n.jpg

72822226_10156425857816669_561894851755376640_o.jpg

66652067_10156177238906669_2586552747306254336_n.jpg

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

@Catriona - wonderful examples, all. I love your colourful friend - I think we've seen her before in another shot but she makes me smile. What a wonderful legacy! The movement in the second picture has created soemthing to gaze at for more than just a few seconds hasn't it? Is this person the one who's book you sent me? If so I love her work and look at it regularly.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

But I love this! The expression on his face is great! You've made me feel like I'd most likely enjoy a pint in his company. What could be better than that?

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I like it too. Fantastic beard and I love the combination of pinstripe jacket and more tradtional wear all topped off by a corporate brolly!

RovingMike likes this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well if anything it's probably harder to catch character in a critter - but oh my, that malevolent moth!!!!!
    Seriously though, portraits of animals are probably harder. You can't tell a cat to look left a minute. Or even sit still. Does anyone else remember that episode of Sky Arts Master Photographer thingy where someone got a snake, a lizard, a sloth, a snail, a pet rock...and one woman got a cat? I felt so sorry for her.

Dan S likes this.
  14. Catriona

Yes, Andrea. Such a creative lady.

Geren likes this.
  15. RovingMike

cathryn20, Dan S, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I find this to be true only while it is aside and untouched. Everything otherwise quickly gets positively glacial.

Other than pre-selfie tourists (will you take our picture please, you have to press this button) I don’t think I’ve come across anyone older than two who’d willingly have their picture taken, though my four year old grandson surprised me at Christmas by interrupting his play and deliberately posing.

So no “portraits” really in my collection. Family snaps are mostly candids (a 70-200 lens is very useful) or exhibitions of gritted teeth.

17. Catriona

Three more different types again.

The first is A again, only this time more recognizable.

The second is one of Annie reflecting the model time in London and use of film, now translated to digital.

The third is a beautiful lady at the point of handing over my coffee. I deliberately included the setting. She was happy with the resulting image.

ap andrea in the zone.jpg
    A In the zone

ap annie.jpg
    Annie

ap coco and my coffee.jpg
    Co Co.

Dan S, RovingMike and Geren like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Two Helensburgh Shopkeepers.

It turns out that Fiona here and I have several friends and acquaintances in common but we'd never properly met before this. At the time she was the owner of the Helensburgh Toy Shop on the seafront. I'd been in when the kids were small to buy stocking fillers and to get birthday gifts and so on but had only ever exchanged customer/shopkeeper chit chat with her. I had just finished photographing Peter (below) and was of a mind to do a series of shopkeeper portraits (and actually, should revisit this in light of some other things going on) and now I can't even remember why she agreed to be involved but I was glad she did because she was just about to sell the business and move on. She'd been there for yonks and lots of people had great memories of her and the shop so it was lovely to capture her in her element but excited for a new adventure.

I've known Peter for over thirty years. When I was about 20 or thereabouts I was the bar manager at a local hotel and he was probably my most regular (as in like clockwork) customer. I think he looked exactly the same thirty years ago. His shop is the likely the oldest in town having been in existence since even before we got a railway here and it has been in the same family all that time as well. I think it was Quentin Crisp who said something about not cleaning because after four years it didn't get any worse. Peter seems to subscribe to the same point of view and his shop is at once a marvel and at the same time a worry. It has the most marvellous ceiling roses and the original gas lamp fittings which sit side by side more modern (but not very modern) electrics.

170904-011.jpg

170901-012.jpg

Dan S, Catriona and RovingMike like this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do love a series that tracks people through the years. I know there are about two years between her standing there with a badmintom racquet and the next one but just how much 'growing up' went on in those two years!

20. RovingMike

Well ones I posted start at 8 and go on to 14, so quite a bit of growing there. I must do a full review of what I have from much earlier too. Best sequence my ex wife has and I can't get. Every year from when our kids and their cousins were tiny, we went to Boscombe for late summer break and last day we always sat them on the sea wall for a shot. Probably covers about 15/16 years.

Geren likes this.