1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portrait Session

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Aug 16, 2021.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I hadn't taken any portraits for a while, so managed to persuade my daughter to pose on Saturday (only cost me the price of a computer game :rolleyes:) I bought the backdrop ages ago, but had never got round to using it. Setup was an octobox camera left, brolly camera right and snooted flash behind the model to the right.

[​IMG]Darcey by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

alfbranch, Fen, AndyTake2 and 4 others like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Lovely. I’d lose a bit off the bottom as it seems to me that the length isn’t needed.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. beatnik69

Thanks Pete.

4. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I'd crop most of the empty top, never the less a fine portrait.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think it suits the length and looks wrong cropped.

Catriona likes this.
  6. beatnik69

Thanks for all the comments. Normally I would have less space above the head, but in this case I liked the colour and texture of the background so wanted to leave a bit more in, which is why I left more of the bottom, to balance the top.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Super portrait. The bottom of the hoody looks messy, which is the only reason I'd want to crop it, because the actual crop works really well, but it's a really minor comment.

Absolutely love the colours.

8. beatnik69

I really need to get this monitor calibrated. I have two work monitors. One has a display port connector and the other is HDMI. When I use my own laptop I connect it to the HDMI monitor ( the laptop doesn't have a Display port connection). When I view this image on the HDMI monitor, I can't see the bottom of it. Move it across to the Display Port monitor and I see what you mean.

Edit: I've just noticed that the HDMI monitor is actual VGA running into an HDMI adaptor.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I see the Medusa gaze has been replaced with something a little gentler - now she just looks into your soul!

beatnik69 and dream_police like this.
  10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd probably lose a little off the top but definitely not the bottom. I find the most of the time the 3:2 format is a bit too long in portrait format and I often crop to 5:4 as it feels more natural.

Dan S and beatnik69 like this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I just moved it up on my phone and that crop works really well

12. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

That’s a lovely portrait, I agree with others who suggest a crop to the top.

beatnik69 likes this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes, her eyes just a bit low for me, otherwise really great.

beatnik69 likes this.
  14. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Crackin portrait. Only slight niggle/suggestion is to remove the odd stray hair, but more importantly, clone out or heal some of the hairs on her hoody. If you print this big (as it deserves to be printed) they will be visible (at least to the likes of me - normal people won't see much beyond her lovely face).

beatnik69 likes this.