1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portrait of My Grandson

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by MickLL, Nov 30, 2019.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Trying to forget NH stuff for a while. What's your opinion?

MickLL

DSC_5898 web2.jpg

Andrew Flannigan and Geren like this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Not sure hos mother would like it... but it is funny!

Learning likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it needs a touch more side light to show the contours up. I'd give him a bit of advice about getting it square - can't expect someone to do that by themselves.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's a bit ageing! Don't think I'll exaggerate my wrinkles. ;)

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm not ceretain that it needs to be square, random spontaneity and all that.

Learning likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It needs words. The more pseud the better.
    It is not a good portrait.
    Never mind his mum; what does he think of it?
    Does he know that it is posted on this forum?

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments folks. A couple of answers

The crookedness was deliberate - we don't like it square on.
    He thinks it's fun and so does his mother.
    He's provided lots a 'pseud' words himself - hiding, identity theft and a few more. Agree that it lends itself to the 'pseud' approach and that was in my mind when I took it. Very happy that you raised it. Not quite sure how to make the picture more 'pseudy' without using words.
    He's seen it on here and I assume that he 'knows' but I haven't specifically said that this is the AP forum.
    I tried to get sidelight (agree strongly with that comment) and the only source of light is a large window to the left as we look. I could have placed him in direct sunlight but previous experience of this location (I use it for passport pics) tells me that too strong a light really unbalances the picture. I think that the left hand as we look at it is not helping. I will try another today with the left hand much lower and not casting a shadow over the pins.

I've answered at length for several reasons. First because I'm grateful for your comments and wanted to say so. Second because this is WAY outside my usual field and I'm trying to learn. Third because, although it might come over as being a 'snapshot', I actually did give it some thought.

MickLL

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There is definitely a message behind it. I think you could make a mint doing it for celebs and telling them it reveals their inner light....or something.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like the concept, I'd go for some quite hard side lighting to exaggerate the profile (as @PeteRob suggests), and see how that works out. If you're going to break the rules of a portrait, you may as well murder the rules about lighting.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can get bigger/finer ones. Get to a certain size and resolution and the imprint becomes something in its own right.

EightBitTony likes this.
  11. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's a fun shot.
    I don't get the suggestions to try hard side lighting. All you'd achieve would be a hard shadow cast by a hand, the features of the imprinted face would become more indistinct and you'd lose the sense of fun.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I tried to do a similar shot with my daughter quite some years ago. It wasn't as good as yours, Mick.

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

or at the very least clean their pores.

NickM likes this.