1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Poppyscape

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by APchris, Jun 11, 2011.

1. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

One from my recently finished 365 project. I'd be interested in your thoughts on defocussed backgrounds in a landscape :confused:

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I quite like these sorts of shots and have one planned myself but haven't been around to pull it off. I may have been tempted to rotate to the left a little to get the tree off centre. Nice sharp shot.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree with the comments and for me the saturation is a bit OTT too. My take on it with these sorted (to my taste anyway) and bit of levels and light grad on the sky:

[​IMG]

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I prefer Mike's reduced saturation, but don't like the way "his tree" is cut off at the edge of the frame.

Nothing wrong with a defocused background in my opinion.

5. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

I prefer the original photo. I like the sharpness and the bright colours.

6. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I like this kind of shot and always hope one day to get an exceptional one.
    For me, the original post here is a bit over-sharpened and harsh.
    The blurred background in not that pleasant, it could have been smoother.
    I also would have been tempted to do a minimal amount of gardening and make more of a feature of that central poppy.

7. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the replies :D Good points on the composition, the tree does need to be off centre but not quite as far as Mike's suggestion, and perhaps the tallest poppy could have been more to the right of frame too.

Personally, I like the saturation though I agree it is a bit 'in your face'. Poppies are out again now so I'll just have to get out there and have another go ;)

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Try not to get confused with exactly what you're trying to do. The tree is cropped off for a reason: to reduce the internal struggle going on between the elements.