1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - When you buy new camera gear, do you prefer to shop...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Nigel_Atherton, May 6, 2014.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

... on the high street or online?

I hope that you find plenty to inspire you and learn from in every issue of AP, but there’s nothing quite like getting hands-on experience under the tutelage of an acknowledged expert. This week we’re offering two great opportunities to learn from the pros, and meet the AP team.

First, one of the most misunderstood features on modern cameras is the movie mode. Video opens up a world of creative potential for the photographer, but there’s a lot to learn and the jargon can be intimidating. That’s why we have teamed up with Canon and Tiffen to offer a fantastic day at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, where you’ll learn everything you need to get started in video from Victoria Grech, one of the world’s foremost DSLR video tutors. Turn to page 9 for more details.

If video isn’t your thing, you could join Joe Cornish and Adam Duckworth for our landscape and portrait seminar at AP’s London HQ. Kindly supported by Sony, the event is absolutely free and you’ll also get the chance to shoot with the excellent new Sony Alpha 7 and 7R cameras and lenses. Find out more about this event at http://apmag.co/JcPjqf

Head for the home page to vote http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ on this week's poll - When you buy new camera gear, do you prefer to shop on the high street or online?

Nigel

[​IMG]

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - When you buy new camera gear, do you prefer to shop..

I don't have the choice.
    Online it is.

3. Suki Marva

Suki Marva In the Stop Bath

High street to make up my mind, have a little play, talk to folk who know more than me.. but then online to make the final purchase, as the prices are better (and I use cashback sites to make them even more so). Not fair for the highstreet, I know, but times are hard and there is sometimes quite a significant price difference.

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I prefer to shop on the high street but sometimes it'll be on line either due to price or availability. If it's a larger item I try to go for the high street simply because it'll be easier to return ahould there be a problem. Another reason i prefer the high street is because I can be impatient and want it now!

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Mainly online, unless I'm passing an indy store (sadly none locally to me in Birmingham).

My last few purchases were:

24-70 lens - Online as they did 0% credit
    Bag - was in Brixham so popped into Mifsuds
    135 Lens - Online via a dealer of 2nd hand goods.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

High street. Less choice and higher prices, but I get to handle prior to buying, which has saved me hundreds of pounds on what were otherwise dead cert buys online. Having taken the valuable time of the shop I respect that by making my purchase there also.

I'll still buy SD cards and film online, for price and availability respectively.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

And times are going to get harder, and there will be fewer and fewer places you can "play" at someone else's expense. Do you not see that you are selfishly destroying the very resource you are exploiting?

8. Roger Hicks

Most recent item bought at Gray's of Westminster. Great service; fascinating shop. Cheers,R.

9. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Most recently - two filters from a local shop. But usually what I want to buy isn't carried in the high street, unless you're in a very particular high street! I bought my most recent camera (sounds like I often buy, but it's only 5 cameras in 30 years, 3 of them 5x4) over the counter from Robert White. My next camera is on order from the maker - I know of no dealer who stocks them.

I'd prefer to shop in the high street, but that isn't normally an option. So put me down as preferring to shop there, but rarely do.

Some years ago we were in York and Sue wanted a new digital compact. We went into a photo shop and had a look and a full demo, then left saying that we'd think about it. He appeared genuinely astonished when we went back later and bought there. We knew that we could save £20-30 if we bought online, but the dealer had earned his markup as far as we were concerned.

10. brian stoddart

brian stoddart Well-Known Member

Shop/high street every time apart from cards or filters.You cannot beat actually handling the goods you are interested in plus these dealers have a considerable investment tied up in thier buisness.Also if you have a problem they usually fall over backwards to help you out.If everybody buys online there will soon be no dealers left (a sad day) then all of you who buy exclusively online will be the first in line moaning that you can't try out the gear before you buy and then moaning about the aggravation of returning goods online.In a lot of cases there is only a small price difference anyway.And don't forget trade ins not top price but a lot less hassle.

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Pretty much always the high street.

They keep tempting me with displays of lovely hardware to draw me into the shop and they succeed all too often, the swine... :D

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

my last camera (new bodies) purchases have been from physical shops although two were done online without fondling locally... I am a believer in the High Street including the new improved Jessops and long may they continue.
    Now second hand , that's a whole different ball game... ebay, physical shops, "pawnbroker type shops", charity shops, forum buys, you name it and I think I've tried it...apart from Gumtree

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Some online very competitive retailors also have shops, not always on the high street, but in places with good parking and public transport connectivity. I will not buy photographic goods from an online only seller. What you are suggesting is immoral.
    I do buy books from the likes of Amazon and I justify that by remembering all the times over the last 60 years that the retail book sellers have ripped me off.

14. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I prefer to shop from my local independent shop, partly for the service, and partly to help make sure that they're more likely to still be around in the future when I need them. However, a couple of times lately, I've gone in asking for things (a light meter and a small handheld reflector) that they've said they'd have to order in - not entirely unexpected - but then, when I went back a week or two later, the shop manager has told me that the distributors have refused to supply the item at a wholesale price less than the average retail price online, or without a very large minimum order spend, and that I should buy online. So it seems that the photographic distributors are another force squeezing the independent retailers.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Both.

Often buying on-line from dealers who have a shop. Or shopping online around dealers that have shops and then going to do the deal OTC.

No voting options, so it's 'None of the above' for me.

16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

In your view, fair enough, but I do not agree. Suppose Suki went into a shop not knowing, say, a lens price. She looks at the lens she has a notion about acquiring, talks to the assistant about it, asks the price and is quoted £X. She doesn't feel sure she can or should buy it and leaves without doing the deal. Later, she looks on the internet and finds another dealer, with a H. St. shop or maybe not, who has the same lens at £x-£100. Now she can afford it and buys on-line.

What is immoral about that on the part of the buyer?

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But that's not at all how she said it. I'm with Learning on this one, TBH.

18. Roger Hicks

What is immoral? Theft of the original dealer's time. Either s/he can afford to buy it at a fair price, or s/he can't. Cheers, R.

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I guess I have a foot in both camps here as I do I purchase online, but I will only do so if they also have a physical shop. I normally buy online from wex, as I know I am within driving distance should there be a problem that can't be solved over the phone. Having said that my last lens purchase was a physical purchase from Jessops, but only because they were price matching, otherwise the internet would have got the order.

If I lived in Newcastle Under Lyme and was in the market for D3200 body only. Do I pay £460.00 at my local store, or do I order it online from another UK store for £279.00? Sometimes they just don't help themselves. (Source was Camera Price Busters)

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

None of my local towns have a camera shop.
    I could go into Manchester but don't care to.
    My last six cameras have been bought on-line as well as all my accessories in recent years.
    The last time I visited a camera shop was 6 years ago and I was appalled at the choice at any level, and the lack of cameras you could actually handle.

I have had more joy talking to perfect strangers about the cameras they were using, and on-line investigations than I have had from a shop.

I do not understand what function a shop serves these days