1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How often do you use the camera on your phone?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Debbi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Debbi

Debbi Deputy and Features Editor

How much like a ‘real’ camera is a camera phone? Well, it really rather depends on your expectations. If you want a pocketable camera that will outperform your interchangeable-lens DSLR, you’ll be sorely disappointed. If, however, you want to take quick photos, and edit and share them on the go, and you’re not bothered if they’re not ‘pixel perfect’, then camera phones are a great option.

I use the camera on my Samsung phone fairly regularly. If my 18-month-old son is being particularly funny, takes a first step or the like, I want to be able to take a shot instantly. His grandparents would rather see a poorer-quality photo than no photo at all! Of course, I still own and use my DSLR, but I tend to use this with a purpose, rather than just to grab a quick photo.

Camera phones have opened up new possibilities for shooting and sharing images, and products like the HTC One (see AP dated 17 Aug 13, page 59) are leading the way. Features such as f/2 lenses, quad-core processors and 4.7in screens would turn most heads if they were included in a fixed-lens camera, so maybe it’s time to stop being snobby and accept that, for some jobs, they could be the best tool you have.

Please visit the AP home page to vote on this week's poll - How Often do you use the camera on your phone?

Debbi Allen
    Deputy Editor

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Never - it always falls off the handset.................:D

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You could try blu-tack or sticky tape that might help. :p :D

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yeah, but even then the lead restricts the range a bit................;)

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Once a week to snap the shopping list on the whiteboard in the kitchen. [​IMG]

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not very often.....the last time was a couple of years ago whilst waiting for SWMBO in a doctor's waiting room 'cos I thought an email address on a poster was funny :eek:

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Most days it's used to be honest, handy for a quick shot of the kids or the latest tree my dog has decided to eat.

Sounds as if 'specs' marketing is working. To be honest for a quick point and shoot a quad-core processor and massive screen aren't important. f/2 lenses are nice, but it doesn't compensate for the lousy sensor size most phones have. Also sounds as if the phone manufacturers are playing the pixel war, if any phone comes out now and doesn't have a 12mp camera then it's a fail (from idiots on tech forums!).

/rant

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

interesting juxtaposition of an image within that image......

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I use it very rarely, if anything as a backup if any of the cameras I am carrying around aren't working or immediately to hand. Just looking at it now I realise its primary function....if the current SWMBO is trying clothes etc on I take a snap to show her...so much better than asking me does it suit/fit etc ;)

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Don't have one - so never. :rolleyes:

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Same here.

Cheers,

R.

12. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I use it when I want to send a quick pic by email or to record a notice or something. I never consider using it for more serious work.

Still, it's always handy in case you snap that news worthy pic that nobody else has and you sell it to the highest bidder for loads of wonger lol :D

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am never likely to own one.... By choice.

14. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Record Shots... I snap the empty freezers in the supermarket so that the wife will believe me when I tell her they didn't have any :rolleyes:

I used it to read the Gas Meter as I couldn't reach down over all the junk in the cupboard under the stairs, to see the numbers. :cool:

Used it to show the safety office that the electrical test dates was well over due. :(

Not used it for anything "proper" but did do a resolution test and was very impressed. But like all cameras it has to be used within it's capabilities.

15. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Most days, especially if I'm using The World of Photo. Very useful to have and the Galaxy SIII performs well.

I keep a DSLR handy nearby too mind.

16. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I had to pick up a new phone 6 weeks ago as the battery on my old one packed in, (cheaper to get new phone than battery). I ticked the, "Only when desperate" box. I haven't been desperate yet. ;)

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, that one just wouldn't have been the same if I'd been trying :eek:

18. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Never but there's no option for that.

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Most often I use it if I see a picture and have no other camera, and as everyone else has said they are ideal for off-the-cuff record shots and as an external visual memory bank. I haven't got to the point where I upload pictures direct to the Web yet, tried it once and I am just not in a good enough signal area.

I was doing a little project were I took snaps at my cameraphones most zoomed-in. The model I have utilises digital zoom (which most cameraphones do), which in effect totally destroys the quality of the picture leaving one to at best guess what the image is trying to put across. I only scratched the surface of that project though, didn't get past the preliminary test shots, I should throw some time at it really.

EDIT - It would be interesting to compare the results of the AP forum poll with results from the AP Facebook Page, given that there will be a different set of users there, or even with a sister publication like WDC and their different readership. The poll results so far suggest that we as a group are very much camera people, rather than camera-enabled-device people :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  20. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I use mine a lot.

The camera on the iPhone 4s is pretty good as camera phones go, and I do enjoy using it.

Partly it's the convenience, both of always having it with me, but also the fact i can take a pick and have it on facebook in seconds. This is particularly useful when you have caught a friend doing something embarrassing and want to share is a soon as you can :)

The other dimension is the challenge. Of course the iphone isn't my DSLR, and that is half the fun. In the same way I'd shoot polaroids or use plastic holga film lenses on the 5D: By constraining the equipment available it forces one to try harder as a photographer. I really enjoy that challenge.

I was at a music festival last week, and while most of my photography there was with the 5D I took a dozen or so iphone snaps as well

For last year's forum competitions I entered an iPhone pic each month, and managed a second with this one:

[​IMG]

So it certainly is possible to take "propper" pictures with your phone.