1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How much photographic gear do you tend to pack for a summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I had the Tamron 28-200, albeit AF version, and it was my walk around lens for a number of years and continued into my early digital (IST*Ds) days
    until I realised that I needed a wider angle then a 42mm lens ;) I never made any large prints (for myself) or, at least, I never thought I did until I went
    to my nieces home one time a few years back and saw a number ( 7 or 8) large (11x14/16x20) prints of some of the Rock and Rollers I saw over the
    years :eek:. I asked where she got them from and she said from a bunch of prints she had found at her mom's (my sister) place. Well, you could have
    blown me down with feather ;)

As for manipulation stuff, I had Photoshop 6 for a few years, then for the past ten (or so) years, I have just been using Preview on my MacAir's
    and Aperture for straightening and captioning :). Now, I use Affinity for captioning and, nothing, as is painfully evident, for straightening ;) Also,
    I shot jpg's, exclusively :eek: .... :D

Cheers,

Jack

allenIu likes this.
  2. allenIu

allenIu New Member

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Ron Clark

Ron Clark Member

Camera and one lens only. Mobility problems mean I can't take more.

4. SCoellPhotography

SCoellPhotography New Member

When away in our camper as much as I can get away with, when flying, Tripod and my camera bag, two cameras, about 4 lenses, around 5 filters, drone sometimes comes as well

5. Huge amounts! We have a holiday home in France with lots of photo opportunities, so I would usually pack:
    Nikon D700 for wildlife, general landscapes, with 5 or 6 lenses, 24mm up to 300mm, big Speedlight. In big Billingham.
    Nikon D3100 as a walkaround camera, with 18-55 and 70-200 lenses, small Speedlight, in medium Billingham.
    Mamiya C330 for 'serious' landscapes (not every time)
    Two trail cameras.
    One or two Nikon F90x if I'm using film. Again, not every time.
    I keep 2 tripods and a monopod out there.

Takes up space in the Volvo!

(On reading that I start to see what my wife complains about...)

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

That makes my most extravagant packing seem lightweight!
    Later this moth going to Wales, it will just be my wife & myself so I might get away with the A7ii bag (with half a dozen lenses, IR filters, macro gear etc) & a lightweight option for lugging up mountains (either Pentax Q or MFT). There might be a few extras fitted in (large crystal ball, etc.) but I won't go carrying those around.

Taking more than 2 camera systems, implies it's a photography trip not a holiday, after all I have leave room in the car for the 10+ pairs of shoes my wife will want to pack...

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well things have changed a little in 5 years. I've had a week in Cornwall recently, and took an awful lot of kit - 3 EOS R series bodies and 9 lenses, and the EOS M6 II and lots of lenses, too. Completely ridiculous, didn't use a lot of it. But we had a cottage for a week, and went by car, so I could fit all the stuff in.

Very shortly, I'm off to Istanbul. Flying cabin baggage only, so there will be a lot less kit - although still several lenses. EOS M6 Mk II, 18-150 for walkabout, but also 8mm fisheye, 9mm ultrawide, and 16mm f1.4 - I know I'm going to need the wide stuff, and often indoors. The M6 II and a selection of lenses has been my go-to travel kit for a while now.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Nothing much has changed for me other than Bettyhill beach being pretty enough to break out the 24mm and a polariser. Still like taking the dogs and 70-200mm but there's no point taking macro stuff if I need to watch the dogs as they just go find stuff to eat or destroy....or if another dog appears Tango will charge at it and Bravo will try to hump it:oops:.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Just came back from a few trips (a 50 minute fly to Penticton, BC) and 4 hour trip (to Winnipeg, MB) and, for both trips and my usual walk around The No-Fun City is
    my Pentax K3 w/ Pentax DA 50-135/2.8 and a DA 21/3.2 in my vest pocket along with my Pentax MX w/ SMC 35/2.8 and a roll or two of film :) Surprising, how adequate
    it is :eek: ......... :)

and, BTW, just carry on for luggage ;)

Cheers,

Jack