1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Poll - Have you ever used a hand held light source for your pictures?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Cast your vote on this week's poll - Have you ever used a hand held light source for your pictures?

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

What an odd poll - it totally ignores that fact that there are other makes of hand-held light source available. The only option for those who've tried it is "Yes, I love the Ice Light", the other answers are for those who've never used one.

I'm making up my own answer, which is "yes, I've given it a try and would do it again if the results I was looking for required it".

For the record, the hand-held light source I was using was by Manfrotto.

Cheers, Jeff

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A simple "No" choice would have suited me. I didn't really relate to the articles. I'm sure there is rather more of a story to the successful artificial lighting of a train than putting one light-stick in the cabin and one outside.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not that I can recall though I ought to give it a go.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Another poll so badly designed that many will be unable to answer.

I have used many hand-held light sources for light painting - but not the single proprietary brand mentioned in the only positive answer option.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The choices for the vote were diabolical.

I have painted with light with hand held flash on a number of occasions.
    And painted with tungsten floods in the studio for product and commercial photography, rather more so.

It seems to me these light sticks have a far more limited use. And become the subject themselves rather than a useful illuminant.
    Some might well say just a fad or gimmick of the moment.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't vote. I have used a LED torch on occasion but it wasn't an "Ice Light". I have also hand held a flash gun for my own pictures and for a friend shooting another friend's wedding. None of these are covered.

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Lots but not with an Ice Light (which I'd not heard of 'till now).

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

isn't ice-light me being offensive...

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Again yes but not with an Ice-light. If you are going to do a promotion for a product surely there must be better ways.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Whilst the choices were diabolical my response was easy - I try to rely on fast lenses and high ISO

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... just checked the prices ... 500+ quid for the big one! :eek:

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I have given up on these Polls. If AP cannot take care to construct them carefully, why should I reply?

Zou likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've used a torch, which isn't an acceptable answer apparently.

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Does holding a piece of white card near a window count?

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Another Poll that most people can't give a true answer .
    Plenty of options to answer "NO" .
    But nothing for "YES" .
    I've painted with light using torches and flashguns , but never heard of an "Ice Light" .
    Not only have I never heard of one 'till now , at that price I will never buy one , let alone being able to answer "Yes, I love the Ice Light" .

Seems like this poll has been rigged by the manufacturer for marketing purposes , and not AP to find out how many people paint with light !

17. Maroon

Maroon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure despite being used to promote the Ice Light, including it in the yes answer was just a little humour.

Painted using a torch, never used an Ice Light.

18. greyowl

greyowl Active Member

Stick a torch in may mouth while trying to get a record on my phone of the gas meter reading in the garage ( in the dark ). Does this count ?

19. Andy Manley

Andy Manley Member

I used my 1500 lumen bike light to help my iPhone take some pictures for eBay.... does that count? :)