1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Poll - Have you ever attempted to fix a broken camera yourself? 19/3

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 15, 2016.

1. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I had a mirror lock up on a Pentax Spotmatic II probably through lack of use. I went online and found it was a common problem then found a YouTube link and followed the instructions consisting of applying a minute amount of light oil to the linkages once the base plate was removed, to my utter delight it started working properly again.

I recently removed the front element from a Leitz F 2.8. Elmar to clean it, I must confess to getting my wife to get the final washer like seal out as I was finding it difficult to free, her eyesight is better than mine for close work oh and I nearly forgot she also replaced the light seals on the body and rear door of My Mamiya 645.

My next project is to clean the front optics ,lubricate the aperture mechanism and clean the aperture blades on a Leitz Summitar that was refereed to as 'scrap' by Red Dot. I'm still building up the courage for this one though but on the other hand if its' scrap I have nothing to loose.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

Maybe I'll have to get inside my Minox 8111.

Or maybe it isn't worth the effort. Not sure yet.

Cheers,

R.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear William,

Very true. The difficulty lies in persuading yourself of this emotionally as well as intellectually.

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I have found a way of putting it off Roger, well two actually. The first is ordering more tools, like dental probes of eBay and of course finding the time. I have just thought of another, I will need a small quality container for all the bits when it refuses to go back together!