1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Poll - Do you currently use a 'classic' film camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Jon Devo, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Many years ago, we had a member called Phiggy who frequently posted on ancient threads. The practice became known here as "Phiggying" as a result. Beyond a mild bit of mickey taking if anyone answers a question posed 10 years ago or so, we've generally rather enjoyed and welcomed old threads being given new life. Personally, I think if it's directly related to the old thread, better to post in that old thread than start a new one for thr benefit of anyone searching on the topic - they get more info in the same place. But that's entirely a matter for the poster concerned.

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I think the answer is in your answer! FP4 is not contrasty if developed normally, over developing will make the contrast leap! That is almost certainly where you are getting your excessive grain from, over developing which gives the extra contrast will boost the grain out of all proportion. Developed in ID11/D76 I can make a print of above 20x16 proportions (although the largest I can handle is 12x16) If you examine a print 3" from your nose, yes you are going to see the grain, but from a normal viewing distance it will be invisible. That is the case with every film.

3. John King

Classic cameras - yes I do use them but not as often as I should. I have a liking for Minolta and have 3 bodies, an XM which is Minoltas attempt to take on the Nikon F2. A XE1 which is very very nice and looks virtually unused. For those who have not seen one, that model was used as the basis for the Leica R3 - and was the forerunner of the Minolta X series.

Finally an absolutely mint, Boxed and with the unmarked original case Minolta Autocord. I have only had 2-3 films though it myself but like all Minoltas the lenses are superb. Sadly the only thing wrong with it is, it came to me minus the virtually unobtainable lens cap.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    John Fantastic likes this.
  4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Yes I just bought a Praktica BMS complete kit with Praktica case :)

And yes it has been feed :p LOL

Also got plenty of food to keep it alive :p LOL

Luckily stocked up before virus issues :)

Also shot some film on the MTL50 for exhibitions to creat totally analogue images :)

Felt good using old film cameras LOL

Fun LOL

5. John King

But you do get the occasional odd look

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

When I bought an X-E2 people were forever asking if it was a film camera.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I still really like using my Prakticas. I do find the two you mentioned very slightly odd, though; the MTL50 with its LED meter indicator is a bit different to most L series Prakticas - not in a bad way, just a slightly different experiece; and the BM, or BMS, just feels like there's something missing (which there is, aperture priority) and the body feels somehow "empty" due to its use of plastics. To be fair, the BX20 is the same, and the BX20s is horribly plastic.

My favourite L series is the VLC3, and my favourite with a sensible battery is the MTL5b. Favourite B series is either the BC1 or the original B200, they feel a bit more solid. Not as well featured as the BX20, though, but I actually think a good BC1 is as nice a camera of its type (smallish aperture priority/manual SLR without interchangeable screen) that I've ever used.

John Farrell likes this.
  8. Mawkguc

Mawkguc Member

I have a old Konica Pop but not used it in years. A good camera except for its flaw witch lets you keep winding on the film and thus ruining pictures you had already taken!

John Fantastic likes this.
  9. P_Stoddart

I was attracted to the BMS because it has electronic shutter so can do 4 second exposure :)

Nice user feature is the F stop through viewfinder :)

Plus this was a complete orginal Praktica kit. The lenses are both pentacon, the bag is Praktica.

I like using the MTL50 because the LED meter display is good again for low light scenes.

I been shooting CineStill 50D whch seem quite good :)

10. P_Stoddart

Yeah but people don't understand there are different kinds of shooters.

There are photographers who have art outlook situation.

When you shoot film you create a physical piece of art. You can hold it and in my case when I shoot slide

you can hold up to the light and it lives again!! :)

It's why some shoot Polaroid because EVERY SINGLE print that rolls out of the camera is a unique and one off unrepeatable.

Artists have love of certain materials and art creation ie the process :)

Doing something creative is about emotion it about experience it why human beings have been doing for along time from

cave paints. Humans make art because they want to express something and a certain technique or material adds to that.

So those who think you odd because you creating YOUR art with a old film don't understand those emotions or feelings

of the creative process. Maybe they express their creative side another way LOL

I shoot with a camera I have owned for over 30 years because the memories of using it add to today's experience.

it feels good to still take it out and let it makes something or record something.

The day film is not made will be heartbreaking to me and I suspect many many many others who love using that

medium for it art enjoyment.

Wish list right NOW a roll of Kodachrome that can BE processed by Kodak :)

Kodak was bonkers to shutdown in 2009 they just needed to make it a art material and raise the price.

Artist would have been happy to ship their Kodachrome rolls direct to Kodak in USA because they want

the best technicians processing the rolls because it would be art for those users.

Clearly they did not understand artist photographers. I hope Fuji do and other film suppliers.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Kodak had no choice over Kodachrome, the process was so environmentally damaging they would have been shut down at some point.

Besides, once Velvia came out, it was always very much second best. Great reds, quite nice blues, but absymal greens.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup, good points on both.

Same reason I bought one. ;)

Yes, it's a good camera, not knocking it for usability, just it's not quite such a classic Praktica L series feel. I always loved the Pentax MX for its LED meter, and the MTL50 is certainly easier when it's dim light.

Will have to give it a try. :)

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps not second best, just different. One plus for Kodachrome is it's archival stability, providing it has been reasonably stored. The process was one reason for it's demise, the long delays didn't help, as did the patchy quality of Dwayne's latterly.

14. John King

The last time I used Kodachrome was about 2003 when you had to post off the yellow envelops to their UK site in Hemel Hempstead. Then it was transported in bulk to Switzerland. What I got back were truly dreadful!! There was an all over pink colour cast and the colours were shall I be kind and call it 'odd', with little saturation. I know it wasn't exposure because a coup[le of cassettes of Ektachrome 100 I used in the same camera during the same holiday was commercially processed and they were next to perfect.

I never used Kodachrome again and soon after it went out of production.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The processing rather deterred me as well, the UK processing was reasonably consistent, bar scratches, the lab in Lausanne was not great, nor was the final processing line at Dwayne's in the US.

16. P_Stoddart

Well I have to be honest here I did stop shooting film late 90s because of money problems.

So I had no problems and therefore from the comments here does seem Kodak started stumbling beyond 2000 :-(

At that time I was digital to keep shooting and costs down. When I was in a position to enjoy film again Kodachrome was gone!!

Oh I did not know that Kodachrome processing was such a nasty process :-(

I know some non meat eaters have issues with film because of gelatin?!! That still used??

Yeah I shoot Velvia 100 Pro slide film myself and it very good. But not same feel as Kodachrome. :)

I shoot the CineStill because of the low 50 ISO and so can get shutter speed down for blur shots :)

And I needed a print film for exhibition shots :) I got hand prints done at RapidEye and they did 10/10 service :)

Also CineStill looks cleaner as well ie low grain. I pick up rolls from the Photographer's Gallery in London so can check use dates :)

But I keep it chilled anyway and found you can take chances with going over dates LOL

When I tested the BMS out I used a roll nearly a year out of date just basic Kodak 200 C41 LOL came out fine :)

Actually you just reminded me need some more Velvia LOL Need some low speed slide :)

What films everyone using these days? Any recommendations please and where to grab some rolls?

I,like slow stuff 50 ISO 100 ISO maybe 200 at a push :p LOL nice pun there :p

Benchista likes this.
  17. I have 6 film DSLR's and a Medium Format Bronica. To be honest I have not used them since the early 2000's I cant even remember where they are. :)

18. John King

What is a film DSLR? o_O

Danno and John Fantastic like this.
  19. Sorry John King, I mean SLR. :)

20. John King

Could I pass my F6 of as a D6? They both have a LCD Screen on the back;)

The main difference as far as I can see is with my F6 I have a completely new sensor every time!:p