1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help FUji x100 blurry?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Lucy Truelove, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Lucy Truelove

Lucy Truelove New Member

Hi guys,
    My partner has kindly bought me a fuji x100 for Xmas as I'd been wanting a digital camera for some time and I have a passion for vintage, however I am not a photographer and I fear this kit is probably too advances for me, none the less I love it and will persevere, my main question is, my images are blurry :( I wasn't expecting this from a digital camera, I've fiddled around but I'm lost could somebody please direct me in layman's terms how to achieve a sharp image.*

Thank you very much
    Lucy x*

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

First thing to remember with digital compacts is not to treat them like film compacts, because there is a short delay between pressing the shutter button and the camera taking the picture, known as shutter lag.

To help overcome this, press the shutter in two stages, first half way down and hold, when a little resistance may be felt; the camera will then focus; then when it has focused, press the shutter the rest of the way down to take the picture. Some people are unable to cope with this (my wife included) but practise will make perfect.

Try this a few times and look at the results; my guess is that your problem will be cured. By the way, don't run before you can walk - use the camera on P (Program Mode) to start with, until you are more confident that you know your way around the camera.

Good Luck.

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Have a look at this visual which explains the basics of photography and settings on your camera Clicky :D

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

There are several things which can make a photo look "blurry", and it takes a bit of practice to tell exactly what the problem is. However, most of them tend to be worse in poor light, such as you tend to get at this time of year, and especially in normal indoor lighting. If you can post some examples of pictures showing the problem (see the guidelines in the Appraisal Gallery) it might help is to see what's wrong. Meanwhile, here are a few guesses and suggestions.

The most common reason is probably camera shake, caused by the camera moving while the photo is being taken. This is more of a problem in low light because the shutter has to stay open longer to let in enough light - see the section on shutter speed in Siuya's excellent link. The ideal solution is to mount the camera on a firm tripod, but for indoor shots, placing it on a table or shelf can work well. Practicing holding the camera firmly while steadily pressing the shutter button can help, and it's usually easier if you use the viewfinder with the camera firmly braced against your face, rather than the LCD at arm's length.

The next possible cause is focus. The camera's autofocus system needs a certain amount of light to work, and the less light, the slower it gets, 'til finally there isn't enough light for it to work at all. Also, to compensate for low light, the camera's autoexposure system probably has opened the aperture , or "hole that lets the light in" as wide as it will go, which has the side effect of reducing the range of distance that things are in sharp focus ("Depth of Field"). See the Aperture section in the link. Roy's suggestions will help with both shake and giving the camera time to focus.

If you get a bright day (I believe the forecast is good for tomorrow in some parts of the country), try taking some pictures outside and see if the results are any better.

5. Lucy Truelove

Lucy Truelove New Member

Thank you all so much for your super fast replies, and I'm seeing an improvement already from your suggestions :) Do any of you guys know where or how I can shoot b/w pics? I can't see an option. Thank you xx

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

It's in the Film Simulation menu. You have a choice of straight monochrome, or with a yellow, red, or green filter. See manual p.54.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Shoot raw & convert in post processing ... gives the most options (including going back to colour if you want to). Expect lots of digital noise if using only the blue or red layer of the image.

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Colour to b/w - simple method

If you shoot in JPEG or convert RAW to JPEG you can use PIXLR in my signature to make b/w pictures.

Open PIXLR. Open the colour file from your computer that ends in .jpg
    Click on Adjustment Menu. Click on Desaturate.

Have a look at the other choices in the menu :D

Enjoy!